I have a big problem. I am almost deaf for past 6 months. My ear has been plugged up off and on. A saw an Ear, Nose, and Throat specialist and all I got is nasal spray.
He said he could do a procedure which would involve placing a tube to help drain fluid from the ear or prescribe a nasal spray instead and see if that helped. He mentioned putting something like catheter to equalize the pressure.

You are probably talking about a plugged Eustachian tube. It connects the middle ear with the nasopharynx. Its purpose is to equalize air pressure across the ear drum, so that the middle ear can drain properly and if the duct is swollen shut or collapsed, the ear drum may retract, and fluid may build up in the middle ear which may adversely affect hearing, and can provide a focus for infection. When a doctor describes surgical placement of a drainage tube, he or she may be referring to a myringotomy tube or a Eustachian tube catheter. These catheters alleviate ETD by allowing air pressure to equalize across the eardrum, so once the pressure is equalized, fluid in the middle ear can drain.