I am about 6 weeks postpartum. I became very anemic while pregnant, and am slowly getting my blood count back up towards normal. I also have a hernia under my belly button due to labor, which I will be having surgery on soon. I have stopped the bleeding from the pregnancy a few weeks ago. I have now noticed in the last two weeks or so that my urine has a strong smell of what seems like formaldehyde, but the color of the urine is like lemonade color. There is no burning or pain, just odor. I asked my doctor about this and she said it may be something I am eating. I find it rare to have time to sit down and eat like I should, so I don't recall eating anything the same in the last two or three weeks. Could the hernia be causing this odor?? I have heard of urine smelling like ammonia, but never formaldehyde.

I was just wondering if you have this problem still or figured out what was causing this. My 10 year old niece has suffered from this same smell for years with no help from doctors.

I too have had a odd smell in my urine. I just had a total hysteretomy and now seem to have this odor in my urine that smells gas like. My urine is also lemon color and no pain when going. I hope someone can figure out why it smells it can't be normal

Have you eaten any asparagus? It produces a very strange and horrible smell.

I'm 16 and just became sexualy active. I know i'm not pregnant but my urine is beginning to smell like the same formaldehyde smell. I dont know if it is an infection or what but i know that my boyfriend does not have any STDs because we've been together for 2 years and before that neither of us had ever had any serious relationships or sex. I dont feel any pain or anything and my urine is just alil bit cloudy but looks about the same color as always. Its just the smell that worries me. And no i dont eat asparagus. lol I havent been able to find anyone with the same problem so this is a relief to find a few people that are feeling/smelling the same things as me. lol Thanks!!!

Every since I have had a hysterectomy I have had these weird odors. Every time I go to the Dr. she prescribes antibiotics. It seem like it helps for a little bit. All my test for infections come out negative. I can only take the antibiotics for so long. It always comes back. They are puzzled and so am I. I have no idea what it is. Can anyone help or have any ideas?

I'd be really interested to know if anyone does come up with a reason or just a solution to this - I had a laprascopic sterilisation this week and I have had the same thing since I had it done.

I am wondering whether it could be related to any vitamins anyone has been taking. I am male (therefore, I have obviously not had any procedures described above ;-) ). I noticed the same symptom after starting a multi-vitamin regimen, plus fish oil extract for the omega-3s. I am suspecting the fish oil extract.

I really think mine follows eating/drinking Lemon -- which seems odd since lemon is often recommended for odors.

I also notice a strond odor after eating pumpkin or sweet potatoes.

Dear Anjakussen,

I have read your paste and I have a suggestion that, first of all, you'd better have your urine examined in a clinic. Please make sure that you have got hyper-formaldehyde urine because you only feel the smell-like formaldehyde in your urine.

All the best regards,

Rongqiao He

I have the same smell and my doctor thinks I have a bladder infection but my tests all come back negative as well. I'm starting to wonder if this is a new thing to doctors? I've kind of given up going to my doctor for it anymore and I literally said I'm just gonna have to deal with smelly pee. If someone knows and causes for this please tell us so we can tell our doctors to look into it.

One answer mentions soft drink has something to do with formaldehyde - contains it, its parts combine into, just that fast, i forgot exactly which. But I'm desperate for answers, too, so that's the best I could find so far. And yes, he DOES drink sodas - one or sometimes two a day.

***this post is edited by moderator *** *** web addresses not allowed*** Please read our Terms of Use

(33/F)

Whenever I happen to eat a fair amount of both leafy greens/green vegetables (e.g.: broccoli, spinach...) *and* red meat in a single sitting: my urine will have this intense, extremely volatile peroxide-like odor that will quite literally scorch my throat and stomach lining (same "effect" as with ammonia or bleach [in that respect], however, in my case it [thankfully] does not smell exactly like ammonia/bleach, IMO.)

It doesn't happen if I eat only green veggies *or* only red meat -- just when I eat 'em together.

The result feels almost "inflammable/dangerous if exposed to an open flame". ;)
It doesn't burn or itch (quite the opposite, in fact -- it actually feels kind of refreshing).
Urine is clear, no foam, no turbidity/cloudiness. Pale yellow. Nothing unusual... other than being the cleanest smelling urine ever.
..."Bionic pee" that also kills 99.9% of bacteria, perhaps? ;P

Anyway... I tend to only ever eat that particular combination of foods when I feel weak/anemic/iron-deficient. So, perhaps this explains how some have noticed a similar smell while attempting to regulate their anemia/fatigue.

I thought mine was related to soda too but when I quit drinking soda I still had the smell. I have tried antibiotics like another person posted and saw some relief but the smell comes back.

I have the same problem and I think I have narrowed it down to too much magnesium (or a reaction to it). It happens if I drink water that has magnesium, Chicago water(not sure what is in it) and if I take supplements or ant-acids with magnesium in it. Hope this helps.