I am a 62 year old female. For the past couple of months, I've noticed an unusually "sweetish" smell to my urine. Research online led me to the "Maple Syrup Urine Disease" but this seems to be an infant condition. Do I need to be concerned? No pain, no discomfort!

Hello! I have NEVER heard of that, what I do know about sweetish smelling urine is that it is related to your blood sugars! Ask someone close to you to smell your breath, if it smells like cough medicine I would like you to see a doctor about your blood sugars! You might have diabetes! Please let me know how you make out OK?

Hello there,

It is a known fact that odor of the urine can be used to identify and describe various medical conditions.

Urine odor can be affected by many different things for example different foods.  When we say this all of us think about asparagus and how our urine smells fishy after eating them.

Also some medications and the amount of the fluids which we are drinking can affect the odor of our urine. But sweetish smelling urine is probably, like bambi said, result of either glucose or ketone excesses in the urine. You should definitely check this with your doctor and about maple syrup urine condition which you have mentioned not only that occurs in infants but the symptoms would not present itself in adulthood.