Me and my wife love to eat asparagus. Very often it is a part of our meal. This year was especially good for asparagus. I wasn’t paying too much attention until now but I think that after I ate it my urine became smelly in some way. I talked to my wife and she says that she didn’t notice. Is it possible that I have smelly urine because of asparagus?

Well it is not scientifically proved but it is likely that substance called asparagusic acid can be the cause of smell. Our body converts asparagusic acid in very smelly chemicals and these are passed out in urine. Most people sense the smell but there is other that don’t, about 50%:50% says that they produce the smell and that they don’t. So it is not surprising than that your urine smels and your wife’s doesn’t. Actually it produces the smell in everyone, just some are able to smell it while others aren’t.

Hi, I also have a smelly urine from time to time, but my GP doesn’t take this as some serious symptom. It’s not a normal urine smell, like ammonia, it’s more of a strong fishy one. I am embarrassed when I go to visit someone. I have solved the problem to some extent by drinking more water every day to avoid concentrated urine. I was also advised to take cranberry juice, but I have no infection, so what’s the point in taking it. However, cranberry juice is a natural urinary antiseptic and really works, so it’s worth trying. Have a urine test to check if there is any infection.

Hi Clarie,

I was just wondering what the outcome of your urine test was. I also have been having the same issue.

Thanks,