my husband has been having an odd urine smell after he urinates. it almost smells like acid. it is quite strong. it doesn't happen all the time, but enough to worry. it has been going on for about 3 months.

Me too.. I'm female. I have had it off and on for the last 5 months. It is almost like a stagnant smell. Not sulfur.. not from eating Asparagus, cabbage, etc. It's not every day, it comes and goes. It's worse before and after periods. I don't have a UTI. I take cranberry pills which helps a little, but actually I think its just the water that I take with the pills that dilutes the smell. It is noxious.. almost knocks me out. Any new information you have would be welcome.

Hello there,

It sounds a little bit crazy but smelling an odd odor when you pee is probably nothing to be worried about.

First of all, certain foods such as asparagus produce a sulfur-containing amino acid and it is one of the main reasons why your urine smells so odd. So if you are eating asparagus get used to this smell.  

When the food is broken down in the digestive system the smelly substances are released. They are filtered through the kidney and afterwards they make their way into the urine. This is the place where they create an unpleasant odor.

After the food that has been responsible for that odd odor is digested and flushed from your system completely, the smell will disappear.