I have a friend on dialysis 3 times a week (Tues, Thur, Sat) and due to an argument she had with the nurses on Sat she walked out without dialysing. She has never missed a session in the 5 years she has been on dialysis and i'm worried what will happen to her over the next few days until she is due on Tues. She has no kidney function at all.

TIA.

Hi there,

This is very serious condition. I never heard that someone will miss a dialysis over a fight with the nurse at the hospital. he has to understand that her life most likely is depending on the dialysis. When you kidneys do not function at all you need dialysis to filter your blood and urine or you might have too much toxins in your blood. I think that this condition is called hyperkalemia. This condition is very serious and it can cause sudden death.  She has to understand that she can not afford to miss any dialysis at any cause. Talk to her and tell her that she needs to get to hospital as soon as she cans.

I started this thread over a year ago. Her missed dialysis session actually caused her no harm, but sadly, she died last September very suddenly from heart failure.