My grandpa has acute kidney failure. My parents and I are worried, of course, because we know how serious this illness is. She will go to dialysis and we hope that it will help her somehow. Can somebody tell me something more about acute kidney failure and dyalisis, please? Thanks!

Frequently patients in acute kidney failure need hemodialysis or peritoneal dialysis to filter fluids and wastes from the bloodstream. A dialysis typically lasts three to four hours, depending on the type of dialyzer used and the physical condition of the patient. Dialysis is used several times a week until acute kidney failure is reversed.

Hello there,

I am so sorry that you and your family are facing this and I hope that you will be supportive to your grandfather.

When our kidneys are working properly they are responsible to clean our blood but once they fail (and this is case with acute kidney failure) we need treatment which will replace the work of our kidneys. This treatment is called dialysis and there are two types of dialysis, hemodialysis and peritoneal dialysis. Both of these types filters your grandfathers blood to get rid his body of harmful toxins, extra salt and water.   

Of course dialysis has its advantages and risks. And dialysis requires special diet as well and which approach is the best your doctor will decide. Be prepared to change your grandfathers lifestyle completely.