I`m 44 years old and have a kidney disease. I`m on dialysis right now and it is really very stressful and exhausting. I know that dialysis is lifesaving for people like me, who have a kidney disesase, but it`s not an easy treatment at all. I feel tired and sick and want to quit. Should I stop dialysis?

Hi. Many people decide that they don`t want dialysis and live a very long time, but many of them also die of something else, before dialysis. But you are already on dialysis, and stopping dialysis is quite a common cause of death. Most of the patients develop some other serious disease, after starting dialysis. So, the point is, once you start with it, you can`t just quit. Dialysis is difficult for many patients, especially for one with other diseases. But if you stop dialysis you could die. It`s not easy but is a must.

You shouldn't stop dialysis. Maybe you should research doing PD. Peritaneal Dialysis. You cna do it at home and its easier on the body. If you can do it at night while you are sleeping or manually at times during the day. It lets you take more control over the entire process. Its a simple process if you follow the instuctions. I know I am on PD.

I have been doing it a year. As long as you follow the procedures its very easy. You should ask your health care provider for more information. Most Dr's only get a limited amount of training on PD and aren't able to get you all the information. Maybe asked to be refered to a new dialysis center who can train you on PD.

My mom quit dialysis december 28th, 2009. she was doing terrible and couldnt handle it anymore. They told her she last a week or two. Today is august 21,2010 and my mom is still alive, her quality of life is terrible but no worse than it was on dialysis. makes me wonder why she was ever on it to begin with.