After 4 weeks, I've lost the services of my personal trainer. He earned a promotion and is moving to another gym on the Southside of the city. As a result, I'm transitioning from supervised sessions with a good motivator (twice a week) to performing weight training on my own.

He gave me a list of 5 - 6 core machines to work on for each body area: Arms, Legs, Chest. (I'm not really strong enough or coordinated enough to work with free weights yet. So I'm sticking to the machines for the time being) His suggestion was to work one body area per 30-min session with at least one day off in between to allow muscle recovery. We had been doing multiple areas during our half-hour sessions and working various body parts each time.

Given that I'm running 4 times a week now and thinking about adding some speed work for a 5th running night, how should I structure my weight training with my 25 - 30 mpw running schedule? I don't want to be a slave to the gym, but with all the treadmill time I'm doing these days and I can see that I will be spending some quality time up there. Should I double up and do two areas in one hour long session.. something along the lines of:
MON: Arms/Legs
TUES: 5 - 6 miles RUN
WED: Legs/Chest plus speed work?
THURS: 5 - 6 miles RUN
FRI: OFF
SAT: Chest/Arms plus 3 - 6 miles RUN
SUN: 8 - 12 miles Long Distance RUN
or would it be better to focus one one area per session?

Also, I'm sure that has been addressed countless times before... but on crossover days when you do both running and weight training in one visit to the gym - which do you do first and why?

Your lifting like a weight lifter. If you wish to focus more on running, you will need to adjust your weight training accordingly. When I lift over the winter I usually do a full body routine in about an hour. for a good routine for endurance athletes see Weight Training

When doing doubles, do what is most important. If you are focusing more on running now, run first.

What are you trying to get out of lifting? Powerlifter, body builder or just general fitness?

I don't really know how to answer this question very well. To answer the question, I would say some combination of general fitness & body building. I don't think I'm in the running for Mr. Olympia anytime soon. However, I'm in pretty good shape now with all the cardio work over the last several months. My body fat is down to the 10 - 11% range. I haven't been this fit since high school. My overall weight lifting goal is build some muscle mass in the chest & arms (biceps/triceps) and general toning everywhere else. My legs are in pretty good shape, I think.
The other potential weekly training session I should consider is something like this:
MON: Legs
TUES: 5 - 6 miles RUN
WED: Chest plus speed work?
THURS: 5 - 6 miles RUN
FRI: OFF
SAT: Arms plus 3 - 6 miles RUN
SUN: 8 - 12 miles Long Distance RUN
thoughts?

If you want to do 3 days of lifting, I'd break it up into 1 day of chest and arms, 1 day back and shoulders and 1 day legs and abs.

If you want to do only 2 days of lifting, do 2 full body workouts. Those links that Tribob listed are pretty good workouts that hit just about everything.

When I had legs worked into my lifting routine, I'd do legs in the early AM and then do speedwork at lunch before the soreness/stiffness hard start to set it and then the next day would be an easy day (becuase that's all I could muster).

One other thing :: Do freeweights - lower the weight and concentrate on good form.

I did an hour of weight training by myself last night at the gym, for the first time ever. Did full-body workout (chest, arms, some legs).

I was all over the place. I think I'm going to need to be a geek and carry around a clipboard with a set schedule for each workout session. I'm too anal and even though I worked hard for an hour, I'm sure I missed one or two machines. I avoided the leg curls because my right knee is still sore. I think I've got an "IT band" problem in my right outer knee.

I've got set schedules and a clip board. I'm constantly referring back to what I did for the last workout so I'll know when to up the weights or reps. It's just too much for me to remember.