I am 27 and on dialysis and have been off and on for about 8 months. Me and my boyfriend want to have a baby how can I get pregnant without fertility drugs while on dialysis? We know this isn't all that safe but we still want to try.

hello! i myself am on dialysis, i would firstly like to know how u have been on and off of dialysis because its a life sustaning treatment and once on it you cant come off until u get a kidney!!! Anyway more to the point me and my husband have also being trying for a baby for the past 17 months with no sucsess! i know it is extremely difficult to get pregnant on dialysis and none of my doctors seem to want to give me any information!!! so all i can suggest is to keep trying because it may be difficult but is not impossible!! so maybe we will both get lucky, i know it has high risks and u are informed to wait till ur transplant but waiting list is 2-10yrs long who wants to take that risk? it will be too late by then to start a family.....so good luck and enjoy the trying (wink wink)

I am 26 years old on Dialysis and I want more than anything to have a baby. But one might ask the question why put yourself at more risk of miscarriage or even death yourself. There are other options like fostering a child or even adoption. There are so many children out here who need homes. Just thik about it!!!!

I am on dialysis too since 1999. My nephrologist back then suggest that I wait for a kidney transplant. However, I have been waiting for 10 years now and still have not received a kidney yet. I affraid as I am getting older, I won't be able to have a baby on my own. So my husband and I decided to take to challenge and try. I know it is extremely risky, but after thouroughly researched we think it is worth to try.

From my researches, the success rate is not too bad. Furthermore, with the technology nowaday, the outcome is even better. However, become pregnant will require lots of efforts from you though. I have been seriously trying for the last 6 months with the help of my OB and not yet be pregnant. Don't give up hopes. Overall, as long as you take good care of yourself, you will have a good sucess rate of become parent.

Of course, if things doesn't work out, there are other option available out there. Good luck to all of us.

I am also on dialysis, have been for over a year now. I am currently pregnant, don't ask how, because I haven't a period in over a year, but the tests confirm. It is not impossible to become pregnant while on dialysis. I have read a lot on pregnancy and dialysis, and they pretty much all say the same thing, and that is the likelihood of having a baby prematurely will be the case, but with a lot of monitoring and increased dialysis treatments, you and the baby will be fine. The mortality rate of the patient is not decreased by any means due to hemodialysis. The main focus is you and the fetus and all the doctors and yourself will come up with the treatments that will let you continue your pregnancy and go to about 32 weeks, with a good survival rate of the infant, though the baby will be in the neonatal unit of the hospital.

my husband is on dialysis and we have a two year old now. we would like to have another child. is it possiable that his sperm is still working cause we have been trying for about a year now. please e-mail me if you can help.

*******

**edited by moderator**emails not allowed**

AM 20 YEARS OLD ALSO ON DAIALYSIS...THIS IS MY FIRST YEAR.....ON IT.....I HAVE SO MANY WORRIES AND QUESTIONS ABOUT HAVING A BABY...I WANT TO HAVE ONE SO BAD...BUT THEIRS ALOT OF RISKS AND AM SCARE....I WANT TO TRY BUT I DONT KHOW IF I SOULD WAIT...WHAT SHOULD I DO

I am 27yr old now but when i was 26yrs old . i had a baby on dialysis. Me and my husband been married for five yrs before i got pregnant. I was only on dialysis for bout 8mths before I got pregnant. They kept me a 24wks. So they can watch me because I had high blood pressure and they was worried bout preclamisa. I had my son at 28wks and 4 days 2lbs and 7oz. he is almost 10mths and is doing great. I got one more thing to Say THANK U JESUS, by the grace of God.

My wife has been doing hemodialysis for 8 years now. She had a transplant 3 years ago which got infected and had to be removed a year later. We found out 1 year ago she had become pregnant. She carried the baby for 36 weeks and had a fairly normal pregnancy other then having to do dialysis 5 days a week. The little guy was born at 4 lb 8 oz. He is now 5 months old and as healthy as can be. The doctors were not too happy about her getting pregnant in the first place buy she did fine. So have faith, we did and it all worked out just fine.

I found a page with lots of great info while researching the same topic

http://www.davita.com/dialysis/lifestyle/a/2063

I am 29 years and I have been on dialysis for 7 years. Ive been trying so hard to have a baby but havent had any luck yet. The problem for me is not getting pregnant but more so of carring the baby full term. I can only hold the baby for about a month or so then I miscarrige. Its so depressing. I would love nothing more in this world than to become a mother.

Have you considered getting a surrogate? I think that would help you with getting pregnant and keeping the baby to term. You can even use your own eggs if you're interested. Does that help?

I read through this page an I am 27 year old and concerned about having a baby... I am on dialysis three time a week for three hours and I do want to have a baby, but with doctors telling me I really shouldn't cause its to risky. but I believe theirs a god and he can help me through this... I have been trying secretly to get pregnant and I still haven't. My family always talk about my health conditions and prefer me not to.but I just cant help it so I secretly am trying too I just wish god will bless me.. I don't care what the consequences are I want this baby so much... it hurts so much to say that people tell you that you can't.. BUt with faith and gods promise HE will one day bless me.... :-(

o.k listen, all the people who are on dialysis and wanting a kidney. i am on dialysis. i first got on it when i was 12, had a kidney transplant when i was 18, and back on dialysis at 21. i am a virgin but when ever God willing, i would love to have a baby. with that said...i cannot believe how selfish you people are being. there are so many things wrong in the world without having to deal with health issues. bringing or trying to bring a child into the world knowing the health risks you would put both yourself and your baby through should make you very ashamed. i would love a baby as well when ever it is time, but how selfish can you be? would you really risks possibly giving birth to a sick baby and then dying and leaving the baby alone in the world to fend for themselves? But whatever, hey, if you think its worth it then what ever "floats your boat"!!!!!!!!

***this post is edited by moderator *** *** bad words not allowed ***

I am so excited for u. God is so awesome! I'm 25 n your testimony has given me hope abt having a baby