Hi
I have exactly the same thing and still have not found anything to make it better. I am currently on a gluten, dairy and sugar free diet and avoiding alcohol as that seems to be a trigger. I also avoid chillis and other hot food as they also seem to make it worse.
When I had a recent really bad outbreak the doctor gave me some hospital strength antihistamines which actually helped a little but i took one the other day and it made them worse (i have been off work sick today because of it)
My Natropath has suggested that it could be related to thyroid but the blood tests have not come back that i have any thyroid issues - but she has said that they often don't return accurate results (so i am going to try other methods to work this out - take temp each morning before getting out of bed each day)
I have also read that they have maybe discovered something else that might help us Urticaria sufferers... which has not been authorized yet but might do in the future (google - new research into cure for urticaria)

good luck.. i really sympathize.
regards
Felicity

hi there..46 now - started having hives in 2005 and within few years i had developed many drug, chemical and food allergies.- and symptom from hives, leaky skin, itchy skin, swollen skin, dry ...had few anaphylactic shocks from NSAID- voltaren, diclophenac..stpped all of meds immediately but skin issues didnt...... it took me few years to get it under control: lucky to have been trained food technologist and had knowledge of biochemistry and metabolism of foods and drugs as well as techniques and technologies for food preservation and conservation . This is what ive done/stopped doing: 1. removed diary products from diet- totally- would take about three months to start withdrawing/ clearing..2. avoid any food with additives and food colourings- especially ones that start with letter E 102.... - very hard to fins foods with no additives and colourings as they add them to bread these days too...3. do not use hair colouring under no circumstances- u can still color it with hanna..4. dont despair after several months of being free of hives, itches and leaky skin- you just dont crave that food anymore- my health is so much better since as i cook my food myself and eat lots of salads..i havent even had a flu for all those years....as of medications- i have noticed that mine started with NSAID and now i even react to opioid...- that is "pseudo allergy" meaning that mast cells are producing histamine - under big and continuous dose of oxicidone etc...so basicly try to live without any drugs.. as all i could use cant use anymore...cants say that meditation helps but "anger" does' i have learned to let my selfpity and anger to come out when in pain and i walk around the house swearing ..perhaps it raises adrenalin or i just tire myself that the body relaxes and the blood vessels expand... if u plan to do last one - make sure you are on your own when swearing:)..also make sure that any meds you are taking do not have those colours- many of e colours are forbidden to use in EU so thats your best reference ..good luck..

Labor Day weekend 2008, I took my daughter and niece to the beach. I came home and as I took a shower I noticed my body was covered in HIVES! Never seen anything like it. I thought maybe I had an allergic reaction to the suntan lotion or maybe something I ate or maybe something even in the water. But they wouldn't stop. We changed everything and I mean everything at home; shampoo, laundry detergent, dish washing detergent, bought new bed sheets, towels, even steam cleaned the mattress and couches. Nothing worked. And when I took ANTI HISTAMINES, they got WORSE! But I started to notice a pattern. Whenever I cry my face gets hives, when I sweat I get hives and when I go to the beach I get hives. What do all of these have in common? SALT! For me the only forms of relief that work are a COLD SHOWER and JOHNSON & JOHNSON BABY LOTION (in the pink bottle). Otherwise, I eat a low to no salt diet, I power walk at night when it's cooler so I don't sweat as much, and I try not to cry in public -which was very haRd not to do at our daughter's wedding! I waited till all of the pictures were done and I let the tears flow! I hope you all find your TRIGGERS and maybe there you'll find some RELIEF!

Hi SP mom of 3,

i hope by now you're finding some relief.

this condition suggests that chronic hives can be a result of a decreased Dao enzyme in our bodies.  This enzyme breaks down excess histamine.  when pregnant the body naturally produces more of this enzyme which is probably why you were hives free During that time.  

I hope you find this helpful

***this post is edited by moderator *** *** web addresses not allowed*** Please read our Terms of Use

I suffered from hives for months many years ago. Only to find that the allergy medication I was put on for my sinuses was the cause. I am indeed allergic to anihistamine. It took me many months to figure out what it was. My lips with swell at night and I would wake up with what I called "horse lips" every morning. I was diagnosed with chronic hives before I finally stopped taking Claritin. After a couple years of no antihistamine, I took Benadryl for my sinuses and sure enough, the hives where back and I could feel my lips start to swell! I will never take anihistamines again. When your face starts to swell it starts to become a serious reaction. Dr's think its impossible to be allergic to antihistamines because they work to overpower histamine that your body produces during an allergic reaction. But I'm proof that it IS possible!

Found I was allergic to the coconut in one of the hand soaps. Didn't realize the reaction to coconut until my son brought home 'Coconut Road' a delicious frozen yoghurt. Woke up next morning covered in hives, and a very swollen tongue[did not inhibit breathing as air ways past the tongue]. While allergic to other things as well[I stay away from them]; I am finding new things I'm allergic to that didn't show up in the blood or patch tests. Taking so many antihistamines now I probably rattle like a maraca. I too am at wits end but find by careful observation of my 'exposures' [I list what I eat, drink, etc.] hope to find a solution. Have noticed that areas where there is constant pressure - sitting too long - nightgown strap over my shoulders will bring up hives. Have decided to stay away from any tight fitting clothing[fortunately home all day, I go braless. I'm 75 so doesn't worry me]. Allergist wanted me to go on a 'trial drug', read the warnings and said 'no thank you' even though others said it worked for them. Sometimes the hives don't itch, like the ones on my scalp that I don't discover until I brush my hair. Hives a problem for over a year, hands didn't start itching until about 3 months ago, even though I've used the hand soap for about year and a half. Also helps to take lukewarm showers, as hot water seems to aggravate the situation.

Zantac is the only thing that works at all for me, but I'm starting to think too that these meds make it worse and doctors know it. The doctors are "expert ruler outers" but no one ever finds a cause or a cure. Bloodwork, skin tests rash tests & what? You're either allergic to everything or nothing or a couple things and even when you get rid of the allergen, hives can still be present after being triggered. Prednisone can sometimes hit the reset button but Zantac causes liver damage & like Chapstick, eye drops, and antacids, these drugs are engineered to give you temporary relief only to piss ur body off at not being able to do what it wants so it goes at you harder and produces more histamine or has it in reserves to flood you when the drug wears off. Medical industry makes money, you suffer. It's a Hegelian dialectic. Doctors know nothing but how to drain your pockets. Useless. They don't know anything you can't read on ur own. Low histamine diet helps. And sucks. I think it's stress and cat dander & dust mites in most cases. Get off the antihistamines - constantly vacuum & run/replace air filters. Vacuum with hepa filter. Store ur clothes free from pets, wash bedding frequently. Idk, but I know we have to figure it out on our own cuz the Doctors are vampires.

I've had the same problem with hives and all antihistamines make it worse. I did ask doc to test my thyroid function as I'd read it can be one of the causes. I have an underactive thyroid and within a day of treatment I felt so much better
I have had another break out this week and symptoms recurring. My head felt like it had Maltesers under my scalp.
The doctor has put me on next dose up which has improved them again, but I still have that horrible shivery itch and my skin is dry at the mo. It's a nightmare. I sympathise with all of you.

I have had hives for about 5 years now and my allergist told me that if I take any NSAIDS /any blood thinners because it makes the hives and swelling worse. Everytime I took advil, naproxen, aspirin, my face would blow up 2x the size and I had to get prednisone. Idk about ibuprofen but def ask your dr about it.

Starting as a child (I'm 47 now), I would break out in hives when taking Benadryl; I stopped it, of course. I then used Chlor-Trimeton for years, then got hives followed with my throat closing off and a trip to the ER. My next attempt was Claritin and did well for a year, but a few days ago I used it for a cold and this morning have hives. I've given up.

I'm trying the antihistamine diet and it seems to be working. I was on the Paleo diet, lost weight but the hives stayed. horrible hives for 8 months now, I guess the answer is diet, eat everything fresh. One apple a day for breakfast, but its so hard to give up "bacon and avocado "my favorite paleo foods. when I tried to eat a flour tortilla in a Mexican restaurant, I had the worse night of my life. wheat is definitely a problem for me . Whole foods has coconut tortillas. I cook with coconut oil, use almond and coconut flour, coconut sugar ( the only kind that is paleo friendly) and I don't break out. I'm taking Allegra every 12 hours and a prednisone pack. fingers crossed, its working

I get hives from antihistamines and about 15 years ago ibuprofen started causing hives too. I'm 61 and have had episodes of hives off and on most of my life.

I feel your pain. I have the same type of hives, and no cure to date, Doctors think it is vascular hives.
any and all medicines I have tried just made the hives worse. or I get only the dangerous side effects and no benefits .I have to stay indoors in the summer.Stay away from sun and humid weather. I use only Vanicream topical products and scent free laundry cleaner but still break out in painful hives. I wear only cotton fabric clothing. Nothing is working. I also have very sensitive skin and very sensitive stomach. I have been to a million Doctors and a million test and a million medications and still suffering. I currently do not take any medications because of serious side effects concerns.I hope you are well and please anyone share and welcome any helpful information .

My story is similar to all of yours, so I'll just cut to the chase. In my desperate research, I came across a board similar to this one about 5 years into my hives. Someone had posted that the amino acid L-lysine had cured her chronic hives, so I immediately went out and bought some. I happened to grab the Bluebonnet brand, 1000mg bottle, and began taking 1 in the morning, and 1 at night. After about a week, my hives began to fade. I couldn't believe it. After 8 different doctors (including the Cleveland clinic!), a simple vitamin was getting rid of my hives. I did try other brands and even the 500 mg of the Bluebonnet, but only the 1000 mg worked for me. Now, I only take one tablet as needed when I feel any itchiness coming on, which I also get from antihistamines and NSAIDS. Good luck everyone. I know this is a miserable way to live.

Hello everyone. I too have had oral thrush as well as hives that get bigger by the day. I try to look at the solution to the problem, not to medicate the problem. After reading, I have determined that antibiotics as well as high sugar and carb diet has led to a problem with Candida overpopulation within the body. We all might try a Candida cleanse and better diet. Here's to hoping!