Hello. I'm interested to find out more about one strange thing that is happening to me.
You see, I know that some people can develop hives by eating strawberries or shrimps and some- sharing a room with a cat, but I have noticed that I find myself covered in these itchy red bumps when I'm feeling stressed. Can you believe this?
So, I was wondering is this possible or it could be just my imagination.
What is causing my hives and what are my options for treatment?

Well, I don’t know a lot about this mater but I'm pretty sure that this isn’t just your imagination because stress can really cause hives.
It happened to me also several times. I get a specific hive under my eye whenever I am under a tremendous amount of stress. So I did some research on my own and found out that several things can be trigger for hives such as infections, drugs, certain foods and additives, cold, sun exposure, insect bite, alcohol, endocrine disorders but also an emotional stress. I have visited a doctor over this and he said that this could be condition called cholinergic urticaria and that it can be caused by anxiety. It is a form of hives that is related to release of certain chemicals from parts of the nervous system when body is in stressful situation. Only cure is to avoid stress and take some stress relievers and antihistamines.

i get hives when i am giving presenations or just talking in front of people i do not know, but when i am with peeople i know i am very outgoing..i was wondering if anyone knew what i should do about this?

The same thing happens to me. I get hives on my face and neck while giving presentations, and they make me feel very embarrassed which makes more hives develop on my face and neck. It also happens when I feel stressed and anxious, even when I'm not giving presentations. I've done research and can't find anything helpful. Yes, avoiding stressful situations would keep it from happening, but that is not very practical for me. Any advice???

i also get hives on my neck and face when i give presentations/am stressed. i take anti-depressants to combat anxiety, but i still get that "Flushed" thing where people are like "are you okay? what's on your neck" and it's soooooo annoying. but at least i feel you. i don't know wht can be done about it, but i have noticed that if i drink enough water and am cooled down and take lots of deep breath it seems to help try thinking about relaxing your whole body and focus on deep breathing and it does help. try not to think so much about your neck and face and focus on calming your whole body. hope that helps!!

wow this same EXACT thing happens to me. Whenever I talk in front of a large group of give a presentation i get hives on my neck.
Anyone know ANYTHING that will make them go away?

The exact same thing happens to me. I have been dealing with this for a very long time. I can even remember it happening when I was in grade school. I remember every school dance when I would have hives all over my chest, neck, and back. It was soo annoying. Now as an adult, it is just getting worse. I get hives every day. Sometimes just when someone stops to talk to me...I get completely covered in hives in literally seconds! It is holding me back with my social life and my career. I can only wear turtlenecks so often to hide the hives. I have been going to a dermatologist and he just wanted me to take antihistimines and steriods (prednisone). Now I am going to my regular doctor and he is trying to help me with this. I am taking a pill for anxiety and have ativan to help calm down and help the hives. But I still have the hives! I just hope that they find something that works for me.

It's not your imagination!

Recently, I've been under an extreme amount of stress and whenever it was getting really bad, I'd notice I'd start to get itchy all over my body, specifically under my eyes and on my arms and legs. At first, I believed I was developing eczema, but when it got so bad my face started to swell I went to the hospital where they gave me an antihistamine shot and told me I had developed hives from my stress. They went away almost completely within an hour of the shot, but have returned mildly.

A doctor can't help you with this. Only you can! Try the Linden Method to rid yourself of anxiety forever! I am serious it cured me- or rather I cured myself. Google Linden Method.

Hi everyone, I can completely sympathize with all you hivers out there. I used to just get them on my chest when i was speaking to large groups but over the past year I've been more stressed and now get them in everyday social situations. When it gets really bad they spread to my neck, cheeks and face, which is much harder to hide then just the chest. I believe I've developed social anxiety disorder and the embarrassment of the hives compounds that. I have to say the best course of action for me at least is to see someone like a therapist to talk through your anxiety/stress and work through the mental aspect of your hives. The more I do that the calmer I am in everyday situations and the less hives I have. Anti-anxiety medications are also an option that has worked for me so far. Unfortunately, I don't think there is any quick fix for stress hives, you just have to work through the cause of your stress/anxiety in whatever way works for you and the hives will be history.

Hi I have been taking anti-depressants for years and everytime I try to wean off them, I get hives like you wouldn't believe. They hit me about 10 times a day, mainly on my torso, but as soon as I go back on anti-depressants they stop. I have had my histamine levels checked and they are fine. I also have trouble with my immune system. For the past 10 years or more, I have had rhuematoid readings anywhere from 100 - 200, elevated ESR, I have positive ANA's, but have never really developed anything. Doctors send me for test after test and then they end up shaking their heads. One Doctor suggested that "the mind is a very powerful thing" which I must say went over like a lead balloon. I was starting to question this statement, till 2 of my sisters started getting the same blood results. I am 52 years old, but look very much older, my skin has aged terribly and I must admit I am starting to have trouble with arthritis, but not classic rheumatoid, which I have been told by a Rhuematologist that I don't have (and I agree, when I compare myself to people who genuinely do have the disease). I would be interested if anyone out there has the same symptoms as I feel these symptoms are all related.

You all have some great information out there. I just thought I'd add that sometimes hives can be the result of something deeper that you may not even know is bothering you. I found out several years ago that I had been sexually abused as a child. After working it out in therapy, taken medicines etc. I thought I had pretty much gotten over it.

As I went back to normal life however terrible hives and breathing problems beset me. After attributing it to food allergies, multiple chemical sensitivities, etc.and spending litterrally thousands of dollars to deal with it I found out that really it was anxiety from the abuse shoved deep down that was causing these problems instead. I am now undergoing EMT and EMDR to see if that helps. If taking care of the physical(testing for allergies, etc) doesn't help you might need to see a counsellor to find out what the deeper trigger is and go from there.

Not to sound harsh but I am glad that I am not the only person dealing with this. I get large hives on my neck whenever I am stressed. I did purchase some benadryl spray and that did help a little bit (at least it did not itch as bad). I am going to try more water and see how that works. Thank you for sharing your information it gave me some understanding that I am not a complete alien with these hives.

galea r u maltese pls??

i suffer from anxiety and depression too sometimes!!

regards,

Gil

Dude, it's not just imagination, I get them too and for every little reason, whe. I'm mad, nervous, or exercise. I get hives all over my chest, arms, legs, back, everywhere except my face, but my face does get red, and usually my hives don't itch, they burn