I am a nanny for a 32 month old little boy. About 5 or so weeks ago a patch of hives poped up on his chest. I called mom and she had me rush him to the doctor, but by the time we got there they were gone. The doctor said they must have been hives by the way I had explained them to her and she said that they would come and go for about a week and then should be gone. Well, here we are around 5 weeks later and he still gets patches of hives that randomly pop up on his body, usually his tummy or back, and I am not sure if this is okay. His parents have decided to brush it off thinking it is due to heat since they usually show up after nap time. But, we went to the park a the other day and it was around 70 degrees. He was palying hard and was flush in the face so I know he was hot. I checked him a few times and there were no hives. Does anyone know what could be causing these hives, and could they be dangerous? They are small in size sortof white in color/red around and appear in small cluster of of about 3 or so and only appear in about 2 or 3 places on his body at a time. Any advice would be great!

My son gets hives as well, and I've studied until I'm blue in the face because I was so worried about them. Hives are usually an allergic reaction to something, though some kids actually gets hives from being emotional or from pressure (like if hives appeared right around where you pick him up). Our allergist gave my son Zyrtec to use whenever his hives pop up, and that usually clears them up pretty well. Unfortunately, with little ones, it's often really, really hard to determine what might be causing the allergic reaction, especially since testing is not always reliable in kids under 3 or so. Good luck, and unless he gets them around his mouth or eyes, he should be just fine. If he does start to get them around his mouth or eyes, make sure and get him to the doctor to make sure his throat isn't swelling.

Our son is 16 months and broke out in hives one day....has not stopped for 6 straight days now...... he has not tried any new foods at all. Took him tot he dr and they said wait it out for a month and see then. The hives appear everytime he eats and typically when you have pressure onhis bare chest, back, or legs. I have read a lot of other posts. Most make me believe that this is from a virus. He was sick right before. Wondering if this should go away?? We don't give benadryl everytime, only if there is a rashy look on his face....... any ideas?