Hi;

Five yrs ago I had colon resection for diverticulities and right aferwards I ended up with GI problems, diarrhea 20 X a day, gas, nausea, cramping, any food upset my stomach & also gives me gas.  No Dr can answer my question as to why this happened.  I have manage to get it under control some but still a long ways from normal.  Thanks

Dear Fern

Part of the problem (diarrhea particularly) could well be the fact that you colon is now shorter. The colon is the 'spin dryer' taking the moisture out of the faecal material. Shorter colon = shorter spin cycle. Therefore less moisture taken out. I have experienced looser motions from a resectioning.

Hope this helps as a start.

Hi Shepard999;

The dr said I did not have enough removed to have short colon.

Dear Fern

What part was resectioned? Usually it is the sigmoid colon that is diseased. Where are you from?

Any part removed makes the colon shorter, thus shortening the 'spin cycle'. So how much was removed?

However, diarrhea 20 times a day seems excessive. The immediate GI problems you experienced might be put down to the after effects of the surgery, but that should not continue for long.

If "No Dr can answer my question as to why this happened" I think you need investigations into what the problem is now. The reason why it happened can be addressed later.