:-( On May27th, 2010 I had my sigmoid colon removed due to a rectal prolapse and a rectocele. Since the surgery their are many days more often than not, that I have to urinate every 1/2 hour to 1 hour only passing a small amount of urine. My urethra feels painful when urinating. I find myself going to the bathroom at least 4 times per night. Does anyone have any idea why I may be having this problem? Other than the constant urge to urinate I do not have symptoms of a bladder infection. This situation is so frustrating and uncomfortable. Please help.

Desperate,

Cindy

Hallo Cindy,

The first thing that came to my mind was that your bladder got injured during this procedure, but surgeons don’t make these mistakes too often so the chances are small that this could be the reason for you problem. It has been few months and I am wondering have you ever got a chance to see a doctor concerning your problem? Have you been using any medication during the period after your surgery? Sometimes these urinations can be a side effect from the medication that doctors give you after a surgery. So try to find all possible side effects from medication that you have been using. How much water do you drink daily?

Good luck with this.

Hello I had a resection in Dec and six weeks after that I started having the sames symptoms as you described. I was recently put on a drug to calm the urges. When I suggested to the urologist that it could be related to the surgery he said it was possible but attributed the problem to my age. Did you problem correct itself over time?

You may like to know that between 20 and 40 percent of people who underwent a sigmoid colon resection do experience lower urinary tract issues, so you are definitely not alone here. Urgency and stress incontinence in particular are quite common, but you could also be dealing with a bladder inflammation (interstitial cystitis or so-called painful bladder syndrome). 

My advice for you would be not to continue to suffer in silence but to seek medical attention for this problem. There may be both surgical and non-surgical interventions that can help you feel better and achieve better bladder function again. You won't know what is possible for you unless you see a doctor.