I came to this forum hoping to find out if anyone had anything like what I had been experiencing myself. The first time it happened to me was 10 years ago, then three more time with in two years. It was horrible. The first time I got up in the middle of the night to go to the bathroom. Felt fine but then I began to experience severe abdominal pain. I thought I had food poisoning. But that was not it. Then I could hardly breath. I became very weak, clammy and started to shake. I called for my husband. He said I was as white as a ghost. I put my head between my legs because I felt like I going to pass out. I told my husband to quick get me some activated charcoal. I was so weak I could hardly talk or walk. He helped me to the bed then in about 15 min or so. I was fine. The other attacks were simular. The last one was the day before I was to have a colonoscopy done. I was awaken by lower bowel camping. I had taken the fleet drink the day before. I was suppose to drink with juice. I only drank it with water, no juice or any food. That night I found myself on the floor in the bathroom this time. My husband helped me to the bed. He said I was white as a sheet like all the other times. The doctor said that I should have had juice as he thought I might have been hypoglycemic. I also asked him about the lower bowel cramping as I get that quite often. He said that I should eat more fiber and because he found diverticula in the colon which are outpocketings of the colon that might have had something to do with me passing out also and the cramping in my colon.

Now the doctor said he really did not know but that was his guess. Well it is a mystery but it is sure painful when it happens. I was hoping someone really knew what was going on. I am sure I am not the only one that has had simular attacks. However, Boy oh Boy!!! I am going to add more fiber in my diet from now on. Maybe that will make the difference.

yes I get the same pains and pass out on occurence, to stop me from passing out, i usually have a bottle of water with me so that my body won't shut down, not quite sure why it happens, but thanks for the post, will definitely had more fiber to the diet

Yes, I get these pains, also. My first one was after I had my first child. I thought it had something to do with the C-Section. I visitied the doctor and they could not find anything wrong with me, however, all they did was push on my abdomen. (What was that going to solve) They also prescribed some pain killers, because I described the pain to be absolutely terrible. I average these attacks approximately once every three months. Although I did go about six months without one until yesterday. It is awful. I lay limp and feel as though I am paralyzed from the abdomen/uterus down. Even a slight movement of my legs will cause extreme pain to my bowels and lower stomach. My first one came the same way as the first women described, I went to the bathroom, was fine, but the moment I stood up after urinating, the pain was excruciating. I barely made it to lay down. I felt nauseated, dizzy, light headed, all I could do was lay completely still. As a matter of fact, I did vomit on one ocassion because the pain was that terrible. I do not know the cause of this and even though they are rare and short lived, they are overwhelmingly painful. If anyone has any idea what this is and how to fix it, I will be ever so grateful.

the first post on this states that some diverticuli were found - try eliminating seeds and nuts from your diet for a while, for me the trigger that was the worst of all was sesame seeds - much healthier since I gave up the nuts and seeds, but I REALLY miss the raspberries and almonds! Your doctor should have told you about that... Good luck!

My husband passes out from time to time from severe gas pains. It's scary and frustrating. When he feels it coming on, he tries to do deep breathing. This has stopped the passing out sometimes. I also give him gas x immediately. When I was searching online I found these posts and was amazed about the nuts and seeds comment. I thought, he rarely eats nuts or seeds. However, when I told him that he said he had just had a bag of cashews and a bag of trail mix yesterday, he passed out last night. He can go two years with no pass outs, and then have an episode. I wonder why it doesn't happen every time he eats nuts? I would love to find preventative measures for him. He has injured himself more than once from passing out in the bathroom, and I know he wouldn't want our children to know or for it to happen at work. Thanks to all for suggestions, just your thoughts are appreciated.

This is so crazy. On Thanksgiving morning I woke up went pee no problems and stood up right when I stood up I was in the most excrutiating pain in my lower abdomen. I mean so extreme I almost didnt make it to the coach. I couldnt be touched I couldnt speak I was dizzy and I thought I was going to throw up. I have a three year old that I was in back labor with for 36 hours and I have never felt pain like this. after about 1/2 hour 45 min. it was gone and that was that. I didn't have time to think about it because I was cooking and the day was going to be crazy and now I was an hour behind. Then this morning I woke up and went pee and the same thing. except this time it lasted almost an hour and a half. and it is unbearable. It was just me and my three year old my husband was already at work and I didn't know what to do. When the pain finally subsided I brought him to daycare and went to the hospital. After 5 hours there they did some blood work and took a urine sample and said it is nothing. They had no idea what to tell me. I thought they thought I was crazy I am so happy that I am not the only one they made me feel crazy. I just want to know that it has a name and what I can do to prevent it. Like I said 36 hours of back labor doesn't even amount to this pain!

I have read the posts today from other's who have experienced similar problems as myself, and even though it's an absolutely horrible ordeal to go through, I am relieved to know that there are other's out there who have experienced these problems as I have, and I am not crazy. I have passed-out several times from severe abdominal pains, and I have all of the same symptoms as everyone else, as well. I do know that my mother and one of my sister's also had/have the same problem, which made me think it was a hereditary thing, but I really do not have any idea exactly as to what it is and why it happens. I can go for long periods without having problems at all, but it's started bothering me again. The last time I almost passed-out was this month, at a Christmas party, and thank goodness I was leaning on a chair because it saved me from passing-out. I have had only 1 experience with passing-out that I did not know I had done so, and I received a mild concussion from it. I can usually by-pass it by remembering to breathe through the pain instead of holding my breath, and I'll just sit/lay down right where I am at until it passes, and I'm usually okay. It's an extremely painful, and embarrassing thing to go through, to say the least.
I don't know if any of you have experienced this, and if it's related to this problem or not, but I had to take a week off of work because of major muscle spasms underneath my ribs on my right side, and I woke up last night having to take a muscle relaxer because it was starting to spasm, again, and I wouldn't wish this on anyone. It's even more painful than the abdominal cramping, if you can believe that, and I am wondering if it isn't linked to this other problem. The best to everyone.

i think what you all were experiencing might have been what is called dumping syndrome. it's when your stomach contents empties into your small intestine too fast. i had experienced this a few times and had no idea what was causing it, but i knew i felt awful! when i learned about it in nursing school, i had identified with the symptoms. hope this helps a little. you can google "dumping syndrome" to read more about it. o.O

I m experimenting the same symptoms since I was a teenager.
Is a common issue the most of the people in this world has, from stress, food and a chaotic life...our intestine and colon.
Its called colitis spastic and is most of the common symptom as today world.
Usually colitis is an irritation of the bowel intestine, and the spastic kind is the most diffuse in this time.
Normally colitis symptom is for had digested particular food, but the spastic kind can be occasional and with the age getting more and mre older can be more frequent.
Usually is better avoid any kind of dangerous food , like nuts, diary products,red meat and greasy meat, fry food absolutely poison, and milk products and some kind of red lunch meat (salami is the bullet).

This kind of food stuck in the bowel and like a yeast get fermented and provoke a kind of irritation of some side of it....infact if you notice in these kind of pains the reflexes pain start from the side of the bowel and spread as reflexes on the back side of the body.
Is really an horrible pain i ve been suffer since a while ago and really cant help too much we have to live and get used to and try to dont panic, the panic cause the colon to be more spastic and nervous system cause more irritation, breath slowly and lay down and put some warm pad or go outside walk and take cold or fresh air to help the colon to calm down.
To prevent only help will be vegetable and fibers with a lot of water after them.

hopefully my experience had helped somebody on the forum.

I have been having the same symptoms for about three months now. I have undergone colonoscopy which showed unspecified colitis. The symptoms got better for two weeks and then I felt that annoying, almost debilitating lower abdominal cramping/pain again. I had it checked out and the doctor told me I may have IBS.

I've read through the posts and am certain I'm experiencing the same problem. Mine seem to hit about once every 3 months. It feels like I'm having a severe cramp- forgive me for being blunt- just inside my ass. I go into the fetal position and try to deep breathe my way through the episode. I haven't been to a doctor yet but after the experience I had last night I am damn well going to. Does anyone know if there is anything to get the pain under control as fast as possible? I have felt other physical pain in my life and nothing even comes close to the hell of one of these experiences. I just want to know how to bring the cramp under control as fast as possible and I will be going to a doctor as soon as possible. Was relieved at reading these posts but am sorry anyone has to go through something like this. It is embarassing and excruciating. If I find anything out I will post it here. Take care.

look at the symptoms for interstitial cystitis... it's rare but often missed or misdiagnosed. My mother has it and i am beginning to think i might too. These symptoms sound like what i am experiencing.

I am glad to hear i am not crazy! This pain was worse than natural child birth! Don't expect to get much help from the doctors- after a normal colonoscopy my doctor had no answers. I have tried different diets but it doesn't seem related to nuts or seeds or fiber. I get these attacks 3 or 4 times a year. I at least feel that it is nothing life threatening.

I am not sure if I am having the exact symptoms that others are describing but they are very close. I am 23 yrs old and what happens to me is that out of the blue usually in the middle of the night I wake up super sick to my stomach, most of the time with very sharp pain in my stomach. Usually I will be super hot, sweaty and light headed. This has happened about 4 times- usually once a year. So then I get up and walk to the bathroom and I feel like I have to vomit and go #2 at the same time. Usually I will go to the bathroom first, its not like i am constipated or having diarrhea but I just have to go really bad. Two or three times I have passed out on the bathroom floor from it, I know it is coming so I just lay down and let it happen. It is super confusing because I am in really good heath otherwise and I eat very healthy. It does scare me though because I don't know what exactly is causing this to happen. Usually right after I wake up from passing out I feel 100% better and I usually go back to bed. eek! help!

I have exactly the same symptoms. The first episode happened to me 2 years ago. I woke up in the morning and suddenly felt pain in the lower abdomen with very strong urge to go #2. I spent in the bathroom at least 20 mins just hanging on the toilet, and I felt like my colon is trying to get rid off whatever is causing this pain. I was pale, clammy, very weak as about to pass out, and very shaky. I had to take all my clothes off since I felt very hot. The pain was so intense that I even felt my upper legs are hurting. After 20 mins or so the pain eased a bit so I could get up and walk. My husband got so scared of my pale look that he took me to ER. By the time we got there pain was gone, but I felt very weak. Even tough the pain was gone, I spent 3 hours in there, and they ran only pregnancy test and examined my abdomen by pressing on. So there was no answer to why I had this severe episode. After 3 months I had exactly the same episode. And later few more with frequency very 3-4 months. I did found though the correlation between eating nuts/seeds (especially cashew nuts) and these episodes. I never liked nuts and seeds, but exactly 2 years ago I converted to the healthy diet and started to include nuts and seeds as a snack between meals. And as I remember I ate the entire bag of mixed nuts the day before I've got my first experience. I also observed that eating nuts only in excess amounts will cause it. However, this might be offset by eating twice as much apples, raw carrots, raw broccoli (or any other high in fiber foods) in the same day. So far I didn't have episodes for more than 6 months now. I hope this will help.