I had a colonoscopy last year and found I had a twisted colon on the left side, so they could barely finish the examination. Im pretty sure it became twisted when I got a stomach infection-C. Diff, mono, and a dysfunctional gallbladder at the same time. o.O My colon hasnt bothered me again, until I started having urinary problems. Whenever my colon hurts and gets blocked on the left side, the left side of my urethra hurts and I have urinary urgencies.

MY QUESTION IS: Can a twisted colon affect the urinary system whatsoever? Because the pain is on the same side and is occuring at the same time. It just seems that my colon only has this problem when I'm sick with something else.

Please reply if u can help! :'(

Hi. I noticed your post in response to a question I had about twisted colon. I, too, notice that sometimes I have bladder urgency and sometimes I don't. I have bladder urgency quite frequently (I have to get up many times in the night) but the doctor doesn't really help. I cannot take medication because it severely constipates me, plus it didn't really help. I am very frequently constipated and the subject of twisted colon was mentioned by a friend. I also was thinking before this when I ridiculously had to "keep going" to urinate that something was pressing on my bladder, and thinking it had to do with my colon. I hope you get a good answer for your question, I would be also interested in it.

I've done some research on my own, mainly because I don't get to see the doctor until the end of October and I'm not even sure if she will be able to diagnose me. I'm taking my medicine for the UTI, but things are not seeming to get any better. Do you have more urination urgency when your bowel is full? Mine seems that way, but I can't be too sure.

After digging through loads of useless info on the internet, I found an article that had some connection with colon and urinary system:

****an enlarged sigmoid colon can wrap around the prostate gland or the uterus. Not only is there mechanical pressure applied to these organs, but, in the presence of leaky gut syndrome, bowel toxins leak through the wall of the colon from bowel herniations or diverticuli, into the bladder, prostate gland and uterus, causing urinary tract infections, prostatitis (enlarged prostate), endometriosis, fibroid uterus, prostate cancer and uterus cancer.****

Hi. I believe that when I have not emptied my bowels that I need to urinate far more frequently. In fact, I think this has been my problem for the past many years and I did not realize it. I became very constipated lately and finally, at long last, after all these years (I am almost 65) am taking a laxative daily. I resisted all these years but I wonder if it was worth it to not take the laxatives. I try hard to eat high fiber but I became ridiculously constipated in the past few months, so decided to take herbal "colon cleansers." I do believe they help me with my urination problem. I notice since my bowels are clear that I don't have to urinate so often. Also, just to let you know, I ordered some cotton incontinence panties from a seller on ebay. They're seconds, but quite good and comfortable. That way I don't feel like I'll pee right through my clothes because the urination problem became so bad that I continued to leak. Now it's better since I have been moving my bowels daily. With your twisted colon, how does it affect your bowel movements?

I used to take laxatives daily but sometimes it would upset my stomach too much. I was told to take "FiberCon" for my twisted colon, but what I think most doctors don't realize is that fiber may not always be enough.
I'm glad you've found something to help your bowels a little. It's usually a lot of trial and error to find something that's right for your stomach.

Before I was an adult, I was very constipated to the point that my bowel movements would be huge and clog everyone's toilet by the time they came out. Sorry if that's too much information. :$ My twisted colon isn't bothering me too much right now, and my bowel movements are getting better, but it still feels like it or something else could be pushing on my bladder. I'm in more pain than I started, and I have to urinate so many times a day I can't count anymore. Do you have any pain before you urinate? I haven't leaked yet; I'm hoping that day won't come until I'm older. Although, I feel pretty aged now. I would suggest getting a colonoscopy if possible, to see if you have a twisted colon or something of the sort.

No, I don't have any pain when I urinate, do you? But I would assume it's important to keep your colon clean from unevacuated bowels as much as possible. I have found fiber not to be enough, psyllium never worked except to make my movement stringy. (sorry to be so explicit) I often have to go frequently as I did yesterday, I was going like every 1/2 hour. Some days are better than others, especially when i keep my bowels moving. Is it possible for you to get an MRI to reveal any abnormalities? Because I have read that sometimes full bladder syndrome is upsetting but not necessarily curable, and at this point I cannot take Detrol which the doctor prescribed since it makes me so constipated, plus really did not help alleviate the symptoms. Therefore I was told by a physical therapist in the family not to drink before sleeping, to hold my water in the bladder until I couldn't anymore since this helps the bladder. I don't know why, but she said so. Another person told me her doctor told her that as soon as she gets the urge to urinate she should do so. I hope everything clears up for you, keep in touch.

It sounds as if you all could have interstitial cystitis or as they are now starting to call it, painful bladder syndrome.  I have had it for over 10 years and if you have it you will have to urinate often, and can have pain and pressure.   ***this post is edited by moderator *** *** web addresses not allowed***

Hi there
Just had a colonoscopy today and was diagnosed with twisted colon (awaiting consultation next week for treatment and suggestions)
Like a lot of you I too have had pressure on my bladder during constipated moments and urinary frequency annoying to say the least.

I've been dealing with my consipation for the last 5 years with Spirulina power, (2gms per day dissolved in fruit juice in morning) and it's worked a treat (in fact my twisted colon problem arose when I'd run out of powder and stopped for 5 days - all hell let loose!)
Will keep you posted if doctor suggest anything interesting...

Go to a gi dr. now

I myself was diagnosed with interstitial cystitis over 12 years ago. Most recently i had emergency surgery for a twisted bowel.

Hi everyone,

I think my story may be of interest to you (although I know the initial post was a few years back..) just hope that I can spare one person the pain I went through. Last year I found out I had a twisted bowel (no symptoms only chronic constipation, surgeon reckons I was born with a long colon so it could have Bn like this for a while ) also last year I started having urinary difficulties.. Basically I couldn't pass water much on my own leaving residual urine in bladder causing infections. I ended up having to self catheterise (which led to numerous more infections) cystoscopy scans etc couldn't give any answers as to why- no blockages etc. anyway to cut a long story short- I ended up back in hospital completely blocked up (even picolax wouldn't work!!) and ended up having emergency surgery to remove a lot of the colon. They actually told me it could have been life threatening to take laxatives with how twisted the bowel was (sigmoid colon). After the surgery, the team came in and expressed their shock at how my kidneys were functioning at all as my colon had put so much pressure on them & the bladder. From the first day after they removed the catheter post op I haven't had one kidney infection of "cystitis". I'm like a new person. Please of your having similar symptoms get to a bowel specialist- they can always do something for you. Now I see how good I should be feeling all the time not how I was before.. It was horrible!! Good luck guys

Hi yall! I have had bowel problems since I was 20 years of age. I get bound up, but what is weird is that when this happens, it creates a urinary tract infection. Have to get up and down all the time. Last month I felt extreme pain and had to go to the ER. My urethra tube had bent in half. Want to talk about pain? Evetually it straightened out after I passed a kidney stone.  Had to wear a stent for 3 weeks. Uncomfortable! My Mom had intestinal problems at the age of 30. They burst and she barely lived. I have frequently developed kidney stones, about 20 since the age of 16, and im now 45. Do you think I should go for a colonoscopy? Especially with my Moms past?

I too have severe bowel bladder problems caused by operations over many years. Now 60 I'm totally fed up with the knife pain that appears whenever the bowel has anything in it including wind bubbles.The bladder is only capable of holding 1/2 cup at most If I'm sitting before pain hits. I'm talking pain that makes you yell and cry if you can't get to a toilet. So now I'm housebound. I'd rather leak as you can wear nappies! The bowel is wrapped 2 loops around the bladder  after an unnecessary vaginal hysterectomy, they left the catheter in for 3 weeks causing the bladder to collapse. There was so much scar tissue from earlier op that they just pushed it all back hoping it would fix itself.they say they now can't fix it, yeh!!! Only hope is to take all available products to try to relieve prob. No one thing works. No matter what i take i can never totaly clear the bowel as soon as i start to eat or drink it starts again with the pain. Any ideas? euthanasia??Most annoyingly it is only nerve pains,  but it feels like you have a knife stuck in there somewhere, need something to kill nerves. Unfortunately you can't even sue because we sign  away our rights before the operations. Not they would ever admit they were wrong, just cal it irritable bowel !!!!!!!!!!!! Blah!!!!!!! I feel like 40 when pain goes for an hour then I feel like 90. This is a crippling disability yet we would get way more sympathy if we had a broken leg!! So unfair.  Lol !!!!!

I was told after a colonoscopy too that I have a twisted colon.  He did not mention any treatment for it.  Can the twist ever correct itself or is surgery recommended.?

Same thing happened to me - no mention of treatment. Constipation has gotten worse through the years and for the past eight to nine months, must take strong laxative several times daily. I know this is not healthy, but doctor said to just keep taking it. I do not believe that will not UNTWIST THE COLON. My doctor just does not help.