Hi;

I had colon resection 5 yrs ago for diverticulities and end up when I got home from surgery with GI problems.  I was in so much pain I don't remember if I had it in the hospital. Diarrhea, gas, bloating, nausea, cramping, weight gain ect.  I have not been able to find a Dr that can tell me how to correct this problem.  I am not sure what happened during surgery that caused this problem.  Before surgery I was either normal or a little costipated, very little diarrhea.  Right after surgery I would go 20 X a day, now it is down to 5-6 times. But I still have all the other symptoms.  I am not sure if it was from all the antibiotics, or if bacteria from the large intestine got back into the small intestines or what.

I just had resection surgery nine days ago and I have experienced most of the problems you have listed - not all at once.  I contacted my doctor and he prescribed Flagyl, an antibiotic. What bothers me the most is the constant desire to move my bowels a dozen times a day.  I did a lot of research when I was first dignosed, but do not remember reading anything about the possible "change in lifestyle" after surgery.    

***post is edited by moderator *** web addresses not allowed*** Please read our Terms of Use

I am going to try their suggestions an see what happens.

Hi; I am so sorry you ended up with problems. I think what may of happened to me during colon resection was bacteria from the large intestine got back into the small intestine causing SIBO. After 5 or 6 yrs I am finally starting to get mine some what undercontrol. This last yr I have been doing a few things that seems to be helping some. My problem all where there right after colon resection. I would not pass on what I am doing for it, only being nine days after surgery but I will tell you your diet is very important right know eating food that is very easy to digest but if your end up being SIBO it will take a lot more then diet to correct it. Not knowing how much colon was removed or what all was removed with it could have caused it. I wish you a lot of luck and hope the Flagly does the trick. Fern

Hi Guest;

I would also like to add I am now down to 2-4 bowl movements a day and some days I feel normal as long as I watch my diet and do the other things I do. If I do not watch what I eat it causes it to flair up again. Fern