A year ago I had a extremely bad chest infection, which also effected my throat. Ever since then I've have a continual problem with feeling as if my throat is full of flem that needs clearing all the time. It’s in my throat all the time!!! It is really annoying and I can’t seem to find the way to get rid of it. I sometimes feel like I'm going to be sick, sometimes feels like a heart burn, sometimes like I'm choking. Also, I can never properly swallow because of the stuff in my throat!!! Can anybody help me find out the cause? Yes, I’ve also checked my lungs and they seem to be just fine… Please reply.

My husband has also been suffering from the same problem - constant phlem in his throat. His lungs are also clear and there was no sinus or any other related problem too. We were told it might be G.E.R.D. and given some meds for it but nothing helped. Now, this was obviously not the correct cause for my husband, but it might be for you. It’s just a thought.

I too have this problem. I have had the feeling for over a year now that there is something- possibly phlegm in my throat. I have had a CT scan on my chest, a barium meal xray to check for acid reflux etc., a chest x-ray and have been reffered to an ear nose and throat specialist. Everybody around me thinks that it is all in my imagination but I know it is all in one side of my throat. I am afraid that I have no ideas to offer but I wanted to let you know that you are not alone and maybe somebody has a suggestion to offer us both. This problame means that I often feel like vomiting, clear my throat continually and find it difficult to sleep at night as I feel I can't breathe.

I also am constantly clearing my throat with a feeling that I can't move whatever is in my throat - lump/flem? Sometimes I feel that I have moved it but the second I swallow again - it's back. This all started for me about 4 weeks ago and I have been trying allergy meds and Acid reflux meds but having no luck. DR.'s do not seem to know what to do either. It's a terrible feeling. If anyone has any ideas please let me know.

I feel like there is a big lump of phlegm stuck in my throat and I can't cough it up. It just sits there. And I always feel like I have bad breath. It makes me very self conscience. I just want to take a pair of long handle tweezers and go after it. That's how bad it feels. At first I thought it might me sinisitus, but I don't have any symtoms except that big ball of phlegm in my throat. No coughing, drips, headaches or anything. Just big ball of phlegm that won't go away. HELPPPPP!!!. I don't understand why there is no cure for this so far. I thought I was gonna come on the site and find some relief.

For the past two years or so, the middle right side of my throat has been producing these really foul smelling chunks that occasionally come up into my mouth at random occasions. They give me constant bad breath and I can always feel them in the same spot in my throat. Sometimes it takes a few months before one comes up, but they always come back. I don't think I've ever had a sinus infection and I don't smoke. I don't have insurance so I'm concerned about how much it would cost to remedy this problem. I'm a singer, and although it doesn't affect my voice, I think, the smell and taste in mouth are two things I'd like to be rid of. Is there a cure for this? Thanks

My daughter has this same condition, and they are called tonsil stones. THere's lots of info on the internet about them. Not much can be done unfortunately. It's more or less stuff that gathers in the crevices of your tonsils and when they get large enough, they dislodge. She would really gag on them sometimes...and yes they smell and taste really foul.

I had this same problem several years ago. I was plagued with strep throat about 10 times a year, constant bad breathe, and the tiny 'foul smelling chunks' as well. I went to the ENT who told me that I very much needed to have my tonsils out. He told me that the chunky white stuff that keeps showing up in my mouth was food particles that were partially digested or that had gotten stuck around and in my tonsils b/c they were so large. The bad breathe was caused by the rotting food stuck in my throat by my apparently enormous tonsils. Remedy? I got my tonsils out and my adnoids shrank as well. After having strep throat and bad breathe at least 10 times a year for most of my life, I'm now going on 4 years without strep once and no more foul breathe or smelly chunks. Hope this helps!

did you find the answer to your problem? I have the same thing.

I have just started this problem about a week ago. Now I am not able to swallow correctly at night and I go into this panic mode where I bolt upright in bed and start gasping and trying to swallow. I feel this lump in the back of my throat and nothing seems to relieve it. Drinking water does not help at all.I am unable to sleep at night. I do not have a post nasal drip nor do I have allergies. I do not have a problem with gerd. I feel like jumping out of my skin

I came to this website hoping for answers but only found questions. I was assaulted 2 years ago and one of my facial bones was fractured (blowout fracture). Since then I constantly feel like something is in my throat. It is very frustrating. I have had two CT scans of my sinuses and facial xrays along with seeing an ENT. No answers. The ENT did order Ocean Nasal Spray and said it was nothing. I have told my family physician of the symptoms and he says he's never heard of this problem. The symptoms worsen after I eat or drink. I often have to hurray to the restroom to cough up large amounts of phlegm and I feel very unattractive since I have developed this problem. It has been suggested that the symptoms are allergies but the symptoms increase in the winter instead of summer. I am so tired of this annoying problem. Can someone HELP?

I really wish someone who has had some success, would share it because I have all of these same symptoms and feel very frustrated, tired and hopeless. This effects my everyday life in a very negative way. It makes me grumpy too! I just want it to go away. I remember someone once suggesting a medication that cured these symptoms and I lost the post. If anyone remembers I would appreciate it...

Carla

I was originally diagnosed with deviated septum causing frontal sinus pain.
Sinus terbinectomy surgery was completed (possible causing empty sinous sensation, drying and likely deppresion) ENTS go immediately to surgical turbinectomy. Recent medical journas cases condemn the surgical solution for causing more damge to enjoyment of life/sleep/mental health. Some relief from difficulty swallowing, sticky mucus has been achieved from use of "Mucostop" (health food store) Allegra, and Alegra-D. Profen Forte, a perscription expecturant, has also been helpful. Daily Sinus washes with 2-3 drops of grapefruit seed extract (health food stores) also encouraces drainage and has anti-fungal properties. It has been a 10 year struggle with facial pain and mucus discharge. It is improving. A recent John's Hopkins white paper suggest greater then 90 percent of sinus infection are fungal related, not bacterial. Antibiotis can likely foster the advance of fungus growth as the bacteria have been compramised by multi course antibiotics.

I have recently begun a trial of Diflucan (Sporonax).
Sporonox (200mg) sid has had a dramitic effect on the pain and thinning of mucus. It has been over 6 weeks on the trial. One must be careful, as the drug can be harsh on the liver--blood work should be done to check the liver function during the couse of medication Good Luck.

yes i know exactly how you feel ive had severe heart burn then acid reflux and now the same sort of symptoms your having ive been referd to a ent specialist but........somethings not right i have taken medicine gargled.........cough sweets you name im so worriedwhat ent are going to say im only 32?

I have trouble with throat phlem. I have been told that I am intolerant to diary, wheat and sugar which gets worse as you get older and then exhibits as throat phlem, body pain, etc. Try avoiding these substances, especially dairy since there is a protein in it that is hard for many of us to digest. I clear my throat by gargling with warm sea salt water. It pulls the phlem up from the throat. Good to do before going to bed. You will sleep better.