Hello. I'm 24 year old female and I'm really worried about my mother. You see, about three weeks ago she have developed some problems with her thyroid gland. The gland started to grow and it looked really terrible. She has contacted her GP immediately who determined that she suffers from the lack of normal thyroid hormones.
He also told me this condition is very common and that it can be treated with artificial hormones therapy. He prescribed her some Levoxyl to use and to contact him again in two months. What should we know about this drug and possible side effects?

Hi. I'm very sorry that your mother has developed this condition but like your doctor told you- it can be treated and present medications on this field can really do a miracle.
Since thyroid hormone occurs naturally in your body, lack of this hormone must be replaced. Levoxyl is one of the beast medications that are being used to prevent and treat goiter-growth or enlargement of the thyroid gland and it represent synthetically made thyroid hormone. Good thing about this drug is that also it is safe for use during pregnancy. Important thing about it is also that your mother should take this medication at the same time each day whenever possible. Possible side effects are allergic reaction, vomiting, chest pain, irregular heartbeat, shortness of breath but they occur very rarely.