On one web site, I saw some people recommend ice for gout. This really surprised me, because as much as I know about gout, that is not true. That is why I would like to hear someone else’s opinion, who knows more about it. I thought that a low temperature induces crystallization. I suffer from this disease for few months and if there is anything that might help me, I would like to know.

I am having gout attacks for a few years and I think I could say something about this. I think it is my duty to warrant you that I have noticed an immediate increase in pain upon eating anything. This was happening to me even when I eat the things that are suggested to helpful. What drives me crazy was that pain occurs even while drinking copious amounts of water. I have noticed that beer is the worst thing for gout. Off course that ice, heat and all that alternative suggestions you might hear will not help. All we need are anti-inflammatory medicine followed by allupurionol. Last few weeks I take 100 ml of allupurionol a day and I have not had an attack. I know it might sound bad, what I have to take medications every day. Anyway, I think that is even better then give up eating a lot of meat and anything I want. I might suggest you something similar, but not ice or any other thing that is not suggested by your doctor.

I have read alot about things to help gout. Apple cider vinegar is the key to a cure.. Look it up on the web and read up on what you have to take to feel relief. hope this helps you in some way.. good luck

My husband saw a doctor who said some people recommend ice for gout because it has the resemblance of usual swelling....however in reality gout is crystalized uric acid which would only harden with ice. He recommended heat because this would help the crystals dissolve. We have kept away from both heat or ice however because of the conflicting information available.

I would encourage anyone with gout to seek alternative medicine b/c the prescribed medications to treat gout come with very uncomfortable and serious side effects. Of course the best treatment is diet and exercise but seek out information about alternative remedies: black cherry juice, cranberry pills, etc. Just as certain foods increase uric acid in the body, others help decrease it.

In general uric acid is needed in the body but gout sufferers have to find a way to balance these levels.

I am going to continue doing my research to keep my husband away from the terrible pain of gout and also from the terrible side effects of gout medication.

Good luck to all!