I know barely anything about gout, since I have never had bad luck to experience it. In addition, no one in my family has ever suffered of this disease. Because of that, I have never asked more about it, thinking I know enough. What surprised me was that one friend of mine told me he has gout in his finger. Now I want to know if that is possible, or he was kidding me as he used to do before.

Since you complain you do not know enough about gout, I am going to tell you something about this disease. Gout is a form of arthritis caused by the buildup of uric acid crystals in the joints of the body. That is causing inflammation, swelling and pain. Usually, gout is characterized by sudden, severe attacks of pain and tenderness, redness, warmth, and swelling in the joints. Typically, it might begin in the big toe, but also it could affect and finger joints, so it is possible that your friend is telling you the truth. The kidneys normally get rid of uric acid, which is a breakdown product of body’s proteins. If they cannot do this, then uric acid builds in any joint, which cause gout. Gout can be triggered by, too much alcohol, or eating too much of the wrong foods. Sometimes people reported occurring of gout because of crash diets, injury to a joint, and other situations. Cranberry juice has been used as a uricosuric, a substance which helps to eliminate uric acid through the urine. This is telling us that it may help with control of gout.