What is the difference between Gout and Pseudo gout? My brother suffers from the gout and it started in the big toe joint. There was lot of confusion because his doctor wasn’t sure if it is gout or pseudo gout. I would like some explanation. Thank you in advance.

You are right pseudo gout and gout are sometimes confused because they produce similar symptoms. Gout is one of the most painful rheumatic diseases and results from deposits of needle-like crystals of uric acid in connective tissue, in the joint space between two bones, or in both. These deposits cause swelling, redness, heat, pain, and stiffness in the joints. However, in Pseudogout , also called chondrocalcinosis, deposits are made up of calcium phosphate crystals, not uric acid. Therefore, pseudogout is treated somewhat differently.