I am 61 years old. Six days ago I had a "Green Light" surgery to core out my narrowing prostate. I was catheterisation for 24 hours and stayed in hospital. When I tried to urinate the stream was very poor. Initially my bladder was holding over 300mls and it was difficult to pass urine in the day, it was virtually impossible to pass in the night. I went back to the hospital after 3 days and I was then holding 280 mls after urinating. I complained to the consultant (who I trust greatly) and he remeasured the bladder after 5 days an there was 150 mls. The worry is a man will go in urinary retention (very painful) and would need emergency catheterisation. Currently my stream is still very poor. I am upset the treatment has made me worse, but I am hopeful the stream will improve as my Consultant believes it will. I am coping at the moment and will wait. If anyone wishes to follow my progress I am willing to share my experiences. 

i suggest you must sport.

Hi Frank, I had a complete hysterectomy that resulted in total urinary retention for almost 2 months. Very ugly situation and still suffer from other affects from the whole ordeal. They did after 2 months get the bladder up and running again, but was extremely slow for over a year. The two medications that did help were flomax and then rapaflo. They first tried flomax, but wasn't quite strong enough to jump start is to running again. They put me on rapaflo, along with having to cath myself for two weks and it finally started to work on it's own. Took a long time to get the flow back to somewhat normal, but slow was better than none. Now I take spells, sometimes, it's still a little slow, sometimes, it's like normal, but thankful I can go on my own. Maybe, you might want to inquire about these two meds and see what your Dr. says.

Vicki

Vixter07 wrote:

Frank wrote:

Vicki

I just had the greenlight prostatectomy and I must say that I notice an improvement the very next day. I had extreme difficulty urinating, but after the operation, I was able to urinate with greater pressure and stream. I highly recommend the operation.