I am 41 years old and just had Green Light Laser surgery on my prostate 4 weeks ago. The surgery went very well and I didn't need a catheter at all when I woke up. The problem is that ever since, I have had extreame pain when I start and when I stop urinating. I called my surgeon and he basically told me to 'man up'.

I have no problem dealing with the pain IF I know that this is only temporary, but he didn't say how long this pain would last. I have a follow up appointment with him at week 10 post surgery. Is this how long I should expect to have to wait for the pain to go away? Please help. I understand the prostate has to heel.....I just want a ball park idea how long it's going to take so I can ease my mind. Thanks in advance!

Hi there, it's been almost a month after and I'm really upset to hear that your surgeon told you that. Can you get a second opinion? I'd recommend it. Let me know if you can, okay?

I was wondering if anyone out ther has had simmilar pain. The pain when I stop urinating isn't like buring feeling....it's much more intense. It feels as if i'm being pulled from the inside out. Also, i've started having sharp pain in my testicles now. Could this be related?

I'm planning on calling my doctor this week, but I was really hoping to hear from someone who has shared a similar experience.

Thanks

There is sometimes transient pain post PVP of the prostate. There may also be a slight bit of blood that is in your urine two weeks post treatment from the sloughing of the tissue.

Pain is usually associated (but not always) from a coagulative effect when using a laser. Coagulation is something the surgeon tries to avoid as vaporization is the key goal.

There are also different ranges of pain tolerance in us all. If the coagulation is deep, the pain may last longer than anticipated.

What causes coagualtion? The distance from the fibre to the tissue, devitrification of the fibre itself and technique. The morphoology of your prostate may be problematic too as some prostates are difficult to effectively and easily vaporize.

I know this is not the greatest answer but your dysuria should clear up shortly. I am hopeful that you can still effectively void.

I had the option of green light laser surgery in the U.S. (cost $15,000-20,000) or in Canada where I am a duel citizen. Naturally, I chose Canada where the procedure is free if you are a citizen. There are excellent doctors around the Toronto area. I was treated within 5 months after my visit. It is my third week post-op from the Scarborough Hospital in Eastern Ontario.

The GREENLIGHT brochure that was sent doesn't really give an accurate picture in my or many of the cases I've read. It's not whether or not you may have side effects, but that a high percentage of us will have them. This includes hematuria, urgency, irritation of the urinary tract with some burning and sensitivity at the tip of the penis. I've read the literature and research on this procedure and as yet, there needs to be more investigation into side effects as compared to the different BPH scores.

My condition was rated at the high end of moderate or low severe BPH score with a weak urinary stream being my major problem. The PVP was my best option. I had prostatitis three years ago that damaged my prostate. I am 58 years old.

What is really scary is the blood in your urine after surgery and the sloughing of the tissue. I had been catheterized for a day and could see the blood in the bag. There is some discomfort during this time. I was told not to force my urinating and let things progress naturally. Thus, each day I saw a slight improvement. There is some dysuria, but my voiding has improved during the second week.

I am in my third week post-op. I haven't noticed any blood for the last two days. However, I still get some trickling after urinating. My doctor says it will go away in time. He also told me to take warm baths. I highly encourage the baths. They help break up the dissolved tissue that will pass through your urethra. And boy does that look like nasty little (fibrous tissue) stuff coming out of your urethra. I wonder why the brochure doesn't describe that occurrence. I also like to stand rather than sitting and take the pressure off my prostate.

I came home with ciprofloxacin, flomax, stool softeners, and pain medication which I only needed for three days. The pills made me sick, at times. I am at the end of the medication. I hope to eliminate the flomax, as well.

MY best advice is to give it time, take warm baths after two days and when the catheter is removed, DON'T STRAIN, and stand for awhile rather than sitting with the constant pressure on your urinary tract. Drink water, not alcohol! I hope I have helped someone who is concerned about this procedure/surgery. I still have questions. My next visit is one month after surgery.

i live in mississauga and i am seriosly thinking of green light surgery.Would you please provide me with name of the surgeon. thanks

Hi Emir,

my doctor was Ed Wood from the Scarborough Hospital in Toronto. I hope this helps. Your never perfect from this operation and lets just say that I have lost some of my sex drive. But, at 60 years old, I quess some of this is to be expected.
Remember to drink a lot of water and take lots of very warm baths if you decide to go through with it.

Good Luck!

When did you actually have the surgery? I am scheduled for the Greenlight Laser surgery at the end of the month. I am in a similar category with an slightly enlarged prostate, weak bladder so the flow is mixed from very weak to moderate. It changes every week from difficult to easy. I also have been on Rapoflow and finasteride that are for easier urination and to help the bladder release. The meds have caused retrograde ejaculation and some ED. I've been taking them for over 6 years and I'm tired of relying on the meds so that I can pee.
It sounds like one's recovery from this operation is much longer lasting than the Dr. seems to think it is. I want to get rid of medication altogether but your post makes me very skeptical of the procedure overall. Yet, I don't want to be on any meds and want a better sex life. It was good to see that the meds they gave you only were taken for a few days. Are you completely off the medications now? My doctor said he would want me to keep on one of the meds (Rapaflow) for a few months to see how it goes.
Please tell me how things are going now that you've had a longer time to deal with all the ramifications. Is ED a problem? Are you off the meds completely? Has it solved the problem and have you gotten back to normal? I am turning 65 later this year and keep very active and still work. Thanks for your article and appreciate your posting. Please reply as soon as you can as I am moving quickly towards a final decision and all the parts are in motion moving towards the surgery.
Paul

I had the surgery about 1 year ago Iam now having extream pain when going and no control My doctor is giving me a pill called Uribel it helps but you have to wear a pad other wise you will stain all your under wear with blue or green dye I will have a visit with my doctor in two weeks .i hope to be off this meds soon I wish I never had this surgery I am having retrograde Ejaculation now and still the same problem as before with going alot.

I've been reading through the posts across the various sections of this Board and have noted there seems to be a lot of guys continuing the Flomax post surgery?

I was taking Flomax & Avodart, without success, before getting the laser treatment, but discontinued the drugs the day before my surgery and haven't taken them since.

Why would people be taking these nasty agents after the surgery?