Had scoliosis reversal surgery with rod implementation in August, 2008 and since then have had an ever increasing heavy/numb right leg and foot. I am now 80 and concerned about mobility. This was done in 2 surgeries one 6 hours and the other 8 hours.

Also currently experiencing very tight muscles in all of my back that appears to be causing dizziness.

you probably wont read this because this was posted over a year ago but i had scoliosis surgery two harrington rods and screws bolts the whole nine yards put in for a 47 degree curve. i had no complications up until 4 years ago and now am only able to even walk or function with opiates (narcotic pain medicine). when i went for over 20 x rays cat scans and mri's which i wasnt happy about because of all the radiation my body was receiving, they found because of the rods being inserted it made the rest of my spine completely unstable. i have a compression fracture by L5 (by my butt kind of) spinal stenosis (my whole spine is thinning) arthritis (at the age of 23) 2 herniated discs in my neck *above my rods* and 4 herniated discs below the rod. where my compression fracture is i  have such severe nerve damage i have lost feeling in 3 of my toes and am starting to lose feeling in my fingertips. the only option for pain relief would to have revision surgery which i cannot due because i have 3 year old twins and recovery time that i would need is not realistic because my kids come first. and to tell you the truth i would never want to be lied to again and told "im fixed" not trying to bring you down but thats the reality some of us face after having this surgery. not to say you may be some of the lucky ones with no problems in life. good luck to you and god bless

Damn. I feel for you, Kristan. I am also 23 years old and I have a 63 degree thoracic curve, but I have not opted for surgery yet. Hearing about all these complications makes surgery sound scary...

Hi Kristan. I was hoping maybe to get some advice from you. I had spinal fusion surgery at the age of 15 and I am 23 now. I had(have) two curves. The top of the spine was at 76 and the lower curve was 64. I had a backward s shaped spine. I now have two rods and about 40 screws and bolts in place. The past year I have had lots of pain in the upper part of my back. I have gone to the doctors plenty of times but the final resolution came out to be screws irritating me. They said the best advice would be to remove the hardware. I just don't know what to do. So many people dont understand. Especially only being 23 and having back pains constantly. Any thoughts?

I had scoliosis surgery on July 11th of 2011. I was fine up until now. I've been experiencing pain in my lower to middle back as if something is smushing my spine. Like that.trick kids do where the grab your hand and squeeze your knuckles together and roll them. This is the worst pain i've ever felt. They only put one rod in and screws, my curve was at 78%. Im ony 16 now and i can barely sit up straight without the pain occurring, as well as slumping over. What do i do for this pain.???

Hi I have a daughter who had surgery in 1990 she had scollosis and kyphosis. She is now turning 34. she complains about lower back pain,pain running down her front legs, pain where she has scar tissue lt rib,back, I do not know how to help her. she says it feels like something is pinching her. cramps. also. what kind of tests can be done other then physical therapy to find out what is happening?

You can have the hardware removed, I did. It is great to get the metal out of your body.

Kristan, I am so sorry to hear your story. My daughter is plagued with constant pain from this surgery 4 years ago. What is the revision surgery they talked about?

Can you tell me more? We are considering removing the hardware. I would love to know more of your story. Are you pain free? How much of your curve returned?

Thank you so much

Ive had two surgies on my back. One for the hardware going in from my shoulders to my lower back and for a year later there was an infected and so they removed the hardware all through out my spine. My only pain comes from my lumbar region being that its the only parts moving in my spine.  Im actually talking to doctors now about reversing the fusion which can be done but is just risky.   

Can you tell me more? How long has it been since you had hardware removed, and did your curve return?