My son is 15. He has been diagnosed with scoliosis; he has severe s-curve. He had no pin, no nerve problems, although the curve is quite visible. The orthopedist suggests surgery, but the risks of surgery are greater than the risks of progression. He has been spending too much time at the computer playing video games. In addition to all he is overweight. I am not sure what to do. Am I a bad parent?

When I was 14 years old I developed scoliosis. My spine formed S curve. My family physician suggested spine fusion operation. This is an operation in which metal rods are inserted next to the spinal column to prevent the curvature from growing worse. My parents seek for second opinion from orthopedic surgeon, who suggested that instead I try a regimen of exercise and stretching. I am 19 now and since that time, I have been exploring and healing my body through the practice of yoga. The goal of yoga practice should not be to straighten our backs, we must work to understand our backs and to relate to them with sensitivity and awareness. Healing is much more than straightening a scoliosis, or curing a disease.

Hi there
I'm a 15 year old girl and just over a year ago, I had an operation to put in titanium rods to straighten my severe scoliosis. I live in New Zealand and had a great surgeon, and my operation was 100% successful. Not only did the rod stop the curve but they were also able to correct it from 65 degrees to about 25 degrees, so it is a lot less visible. It was a long, hard road to recovery but I feel it was worth it and I'd do it again if I had to. For me, there was no question, I was going to have the surgery. However your son's case could be a lot more complicated and have more risks than mine did, and I'm certainly not qualified to assess that for myself. You could talk to another surgeon to get a second opinion about your options, or talk further with your current doctor. You're certainly not a bad parent....I know how hard it was for my parents to deal with everything that was happening to me; it's hard for everyone. I'm not sure where you come from, do you have good medical care there? Is your doctor/surgeon good? My advice is to talk to more people about it, more surgeons/doctors, get a better picture of risks and what is going to be the best option for your son. Take into consideration how he feels about everything too. Good luck :-) Just remember you are definately not a bad parent - you are doing the best you can.

I am a 17yr old girl in London. I was diagosed with lumbar thorasic scoliosis when I was 14. Which basically means I have a curve in my lower (lumbar) back and in the base of my neck (thorasic) I have surgey to correct this, and it was 100% successful. My parents went through the same thing, thinking they had done something wrong etc...but my surgeon assured them its not anyones fault. I have idopathic scoliosis, as no one (as far as we know) has it in my family, so the cause is unkown. It is by no means your fault, so please dont think this!
I play computer games and spend many hours hunched over my computer screen so your son is not the only person to do this!!

Im 19 and have a idiopathic spinal curve of more than 50 degrees, i refused the chance of having a brace a few years ago(I dont know why). Recently i have been thinking alot about having spinal surgery, i suffer from constant back pain and its ruining my life! Im worried about the complications of spinal surgery and cant decide if i should go through with it or not, Ive got my next appointment with my orthapedic surgeon in Feb 07, if there is anyone else out there thats been through or going through the same as me please can you let me know. Thanks

Im 19 and have a idiopathic spinal curve of more than 50 degrees, i refused the chance of having a brace a few years ago(I dont know why). Recently i have been thinking alot about having spinal surgery, i suffer from constant back pain and its ruining my life! Im worried about the complications of spinal surgery and cant decide if i should go through with it or not, Ive got my next appointment with my orthapedic surgeon in Feb 07, if there is anyone else out there thats been through or going through the same as me please can you let me know. Thanks, Paul

I'm 16 years old and I was diagnosed with scoliosis when I was in 7th grade. I didn't really think much about it then because it never impacted my life. It was only in the middle of my freshman year did it begin to be noticable. My left side became flat while my right side protruded in to an abnormal extent. I can no longer wear shirts that fit, I can't wear swim suits because then everyone will see how deformed I am. It has pretty much destroyed my self esteem, I hate the way I look, and it has caused me great emotional pain. I've decided that surgery is what I need, it's not worth living a life if you can't even wear clothes that fit you. Talk to your son, if he's unhappy with the way he looks I would definately get him surgery. It's not fair to have your child suffer for something he didn't cause.

What is your curve now? My daughter was told we should have surgery as well. she has a double curve with the top curve being 55. I too am perplexed with what the right answer is.

your not a bad parent, you just have to try to help him do other things besides being in the house. take him out anywhere, to the mall or some where along those lines, and make him healthy foods. Scoliosis though should be monitored though. if his scoliosis is 50 degrees or more, you should definatly get surgury because over the years it will get worse and he'll develop pain in his back. If its less though try to get him a brace. It will look weird and a lot of kids refuse to wear it because its so big, but since he's still growing he can grow more straight with the brace directing the curvature in the other direction. good luck hope i helped a little bit

I am a ti-rod girl now. :-) I had the surgery 8 years ago now. I'm doing really well.

Yes, it takes some getting used to, but honestly, I don't think about it much.

Braces SUCK. better a temporary brace after surgery than a brace for years and years.

A note though- I would have died (eventually) if uncorrected- I was starting to rotate and would have eventually crushed my lungs.

I am 18 and my doctor recomended that i have surgery done to correct my s curve. currently i'm debating on wether or not to have the operation done because my top curve is only 29 degrees but the doctor said that without the opperation I will not be able to continue in my career as a firefighter. Currently I have been put on restriction from lifting anything above 20 lbs. Should i go through with the surgery or seek other options?

my daughter is 13yrs old and has scoliosis her degree is 39.7 so basically 40 they're saying. the orthopedic wants to do surgery on her. I have a sense that a 40degree isnt so bad. I'm thinking she'll be worse off having the surgery she doesnt complain about pain I've asked her if she does have back pain and she says no only when she slouches while on the computer for a long time -but even my back hurts while doing that. I just dont want to make the wrong call that could cost her a healthy back. please, any suggestions ?

I am 29 and I have pretty bad scoliosis myself. (48degrees T, 49 Lumbar).
I have had two pregnancies back to back. (kids are 17months apart). gained 35 pounds with each child and lost it all both times. before i got pregnant with my first child, my degrees were 41 T, and 42 L. in a two and a half yr period my scoliosis has progressed at such speed that my orthopedic dr has suggested surgery as 'something to think about'.
as a parent of two VERY young little ones with a lot of demands, i don't see how i am going to be able to have surgery any time soon.
what am i doing? I go to the gym 4 x a week to exercise, lift weights and do stretching exercises. it's the best i can do.
looking back i wish i had the surgery when i was in my teens or even before i had kids. now, it's very difficult to picture taking 3-6 months off to recover from such brutal surgery.
does my back hurt? ALL THE TIME.
to those of you who have growing kids, PLEASE monitor the scoliosis. i don't like it when drs suggest surgery after one or two visits. why? because it's something that should be monitored and measured once or twice a yr. and THEN, make a decision.

good luck!

i had my surgery 7 years ago now and it was definitely the right decision!

my scoliosis was that bad that it would have killed me - my spine had already twisted and my heart had tipped making me very breathless.

my curve before surgery was 98 degrees and i was still growing! i have been pain free since and am so happy with the way i look now.

most people don't even know i've had anything done until they notice the huge scar all the way down my back!

it hasn't stopped me doing anything - except going into the forces or doing parachute jumps and was definitely worth it!

you are not a bad parent - unfortunately the cause of scoliosis is not known! its one of those things that will remain a mystery!

if your son wants the surgery then support him! good luck :-)

Hi, I was diagnosed at 14 and I live in southern California.

I had a progressing curvature of my lower lumbar region and I decided to go with surgery. Before I decided to go with surgery I was at 31 degrees so they decided to monitor it. In 6 months it progressed to 39 degrees. The doctors suggested surgery or to monitor it until it gets worse. I decided to go for it. I never have regretted it. I'm not going to lie, it was very painful, but I would do it again if I had to. It has now been 4 years and I'm completely normal. It was 100% successful and I had an amazing surgeon.

I had to use the brace for 6 months and that was hell, I would go through the surgery again instead of going back to that torturous thing!

I totally recommend surgery. If the doctors recommend it and you deny out of fear, that I think is a bad decision.

Good luck!