hi there, ive been suffering from scoliosis since i was in year 10, the doctor said that i may need surgery but i must wait a year to see if it gets worse, when i went back i had a different doctor and she said how i need surgery and no brace can fix it. but ive been doing exercises with the physiotherapist at the local hospital but its been a year now and ive been back because they discharged me and i havent been doing any of the exercises nomore and i recently notice a rib hump which hurts at night and sitting down. i now have to go back and see the doctor in may to see if the curve has gone worse.
but theres one thing i dont want surgery. things like that can go wrong but i hate the pain and the way it looks.

I wondered how you were getting on? I had a back brace fitted at the age of 9 and had to keep on getting it adjusted as I grew so quick - at the age of 11 I had corrective surgery but this is not always the case! I am 40 now and play regular sports - my spinal problems have never got in the way of how I live my life!

Hi just writing to wish you luck. I was diagnosed with scoliosis at 13, but it was too late to do anything correctively as i only had 1/4 inch left to grow. At the time i was a typically vain teenager and was so excited that i avoided having to wear the brace... in hindisght... I so wish i'd have been a candidate for some type of correction! I lived my life normally til i was 30 and my only child was 13 months old. My lower back went. I'll never fortget the 1st exray my consultant showed me, because my lumbar was STRAIGHT, i argued the toss with him that he must have had the wrong exray, because i had scoliosis! To cut a long story short here... he explained how the weight of my pregnancy had straightened out my curves in the lumbar region... the calcium deposits that had been present on my spine had broken up when the lumbar region straightned; with the calcium deposits settling in around the spine and causing early arthritis resulting in 2 degenerative discs... so at 31 i had my lumbar fusion. I wasn't able to pick up my beautful daughter from the age of 4!! I'm now 42 (nearly!) and my lumbar fusion has only recently required facet injections... but now the cervical area of my scoliosis is doing exactly the same thing as my lumbar region (still have a curve in my mid spine... and thats the last "proof" i ever had scoliosis!). Anyway... don't know if my story is of any support... but best of luck with your journey!!!