Hello! I used to have nightmares when I was a ten years old child. The bad dreams I had were with animals that were chasing me. This lasted for few months during my parent’s divorce and I never had a bad dream after that. But, a week ago I started to have bad dreams again. I wake almost every night sweating and trembling. Now, I am afraid to go to sleep. A friend of mine told me to take some sleep pills but I don’t want to take them since I don’t have problems with sleep but with bad dreams. What should I do?

Hello! I think that there is no person who didn’t have a nightmare at least once. I understand your fear of recurring nightmares and trouble falling asleep. Nightmares are the way for your brain to handle stress. As you said you had nightmares in the time of your parent’s divorce. This is the way your brain reacted to the stress you had. You should examine your life and see what could be the cause. Maybe it could be a situation at work, at school, certain medications or medical conditions that affect the blood sugar. Try to take some time for your own, enjoy a bubble bath, a walk or a cup of tea before going to sleep. But, if your nightmares last more then few weeks it would be good to talk to a therapist.