Hi everyone, I keep having strange dreams when I go hypo. I have dreams of having a hypo before walking up to a hypo. Sometimes these dreams are frightening and crazy almost like a nightmare. I've had this happen so many times and the dream keeps repeating itself as if in an endless loop. Does anyone out there have weird dreams with a hypo or am I just strange? Sometimes I'm trying to get away from something that's is chasing me and other times I surrounded by food and eating everything in sight. I don't normally have dreams like this and frankly it's getting on my nerves.

Hello, I've had the same thing happen to me but fortunately the dreams have gone away along with my hypos. My doctor tells me this is common with diabetics. He explained that during hypos the brain is not getting enough energy to run properly and this ends up generating weird dreams. Funny you should mention food. During my extreme hypos while sleeping my dreams have taken me to all you can eat buffets with every kind of food you can imagine from soups to salads, entrees and big desserts. I find myself eating everything in sight and going back for more. This becomes an endless loop for me as well. Under normal conditions I don't think I've ever dreamed about food. I tend to dream more about being in the middle of a James Bond movie or climbing Mount Everest. Nevertheless, I knew when I had these food dreams I was experiencing a hypo in my sleep. Eventually, I would just wake myself up and take some sugar pills and go back to sleep. You know I've heard of people who have these food dreams during a hypo and they actually get up and raid the refridgerator. When they wake up in the morning, they find an empty bowl of pasta on the kitchen table completely empty. Fortunately, my food dreams are gone along with my hypos due to my new basal. At least, you know that you are not alone. You might need to have your medication changed. I wish you the best.