Hi, folks. My kid has been having some problems falling asleep on his own. He has a fear of the dark. He is five years old. I would like to know if this is normal for kids of his age. I really don’t know what to do. I am afraid that I might overreact if I took him to the psychiatrist. What would you suggest me?

Hello, there. You haven’t mentioned how long this has been going on. Fear of the dark is something that is common for many kids. However, sometimes this fear can be pathological. Then, it is called nyctophobia. I don’t know whether your kid has it. If you think this is your kid’s situation, you should definitely consult an expert. He will tell you more. I hope this helps. Bye!

Hi, there. My kid has similar problem when he was younger. Kids with vivid imagination usually have this problem. I don’t know whether this is your kid’s case. Nightmares also contribute to fear of the dark. I agree with the previous thread. If you are worried, you should take your kid to an expert. My son has grown out this fear. It passed spontaneously. I hope this helps.