I don't know how to deal with this. This is the third night in a row that this is happening, I already consulted my friend and she doesn't have a clue why is this happening or what could I do to stop it so I turned to you people here in hope that someone might be able to help me and tell me what to do.

I am having these nocturnal anxiety attacks, they are causing my chest pain and my bad dreams which wake me up at some point during the night and I can't seem to fall asleep again afterwards.

You can talk to your doctor in order to get some pills for this. I know that there are some special pills that you need to take before going to sleep which will make the chances of your nocturnal anxiety attacks to happen really small.

However, if this happens and it wakes you up, you shouldn't really try to go back to sleep. You need to get up, take a few deep breaths, walk around the house, take some fresh air, maybe watch TV for a couple of minutes and then you should go back to sleep, if you try and go back to sleep immediately, it won't work.

I was dealing with the same thing a couple of years back but I didn't really know that there were any pills out there that could help me. I figured out myself that this was happening because of my anxiety attacks and that it was no use trying to go back to sleep again. What I did is that I tried to go to bed as calm as I can be meaning that I would meditate before going to bed and this seemed to help a lot because I didn't really have these anxiety attacks if I would meditate before my sleep.

Your chest pain is caused by the stress that you are experiencing, it is a common thing to happen when you are suffering from anxiety. These nocturnal anxiety attacks are also somehow connected to stress so I think that if you manage to lower the amount of stress which is accumulating inside your body, you will be able to stop experiencing these nocturnal anxiety attacks and therefore you will get rid of chest pain and bad dreams.

You might want to talk to a doctor anyway, just in case, especially if the things that I wrote above turn out to not work.

The stress thing makes sense since I really am under a lot of stress lately and I tried, I really tried to not be stressed out most of the time but it doesn't work.

What kind of pills are these, Gaia? I am assuming that these are antidepressants which I don't want to take, somebody already recommended me these medications but I know that they can do more harm than good so I've decided not to use them.

I'll go ahead and talk to my doctor when I find some time for it but that it is probably not going to be anytime soon.

Hi there. This happens to me all the time. Until a couple of months ago, I was not conscious of the fact that you can actually have those panic attacks while you are sleeping during the night. They can be really bad and they can cause unpleasantness. I was really scared one night when I started to have this chest pain. Like almost everyone, I believed that I am dealing with heart attack, but than I saw that symptoms are different (I had heart attack once, so I know that feeling). Next morning I went to see my doctor and he told me that I am dealing with nocturnal anxiety. He gave me some pills and I am feeling OK so far.

When you have bad dreams and when you wake up during the night with several pains, that can be just one thing - depression. Don't worry, it is probably not connected with heart issues. 

I always believe that there is better way than using pills for this, but in this case I suggest you to have some pills in order to help you sleep and to chase away those chest pains that you have.

It is hard when you don't sleep during the night, you can't do anything next day, you don't have a will to do anything. So, take some pills that can help you function normally during the next day. 

Dealing with nocturnal anxiety was the worse experience that I ever had. Mrs Sick and Tired, it is not the depression like you wrote. It is an anxiety. Pills haven't helped me at all. They made me able to sleep for a couple of hours without waking up, but I was waking up with that pain in my chest as well and I think that I had nightmares always. So, I have decided to change my daily routine completely, and that meant that I am going to change my whole life. I started to run every night, I learned how to meditate, I was eating healthy. You just can't imagine how this changed my life. Completely!