For the last month I have had this very weird sensation in my throat. I would say lump but my doc said it is a lump, it was a sensation of a lump. I have been looked by my GP, then by an ENT and nothing was found in my throat. However, I can’t deal with it anymore. It is so annoying and I started having chest pain and sometimes breathing problems, at the evenings it would turn into a headache and I would get so nervous I would get dizzy from time to time. Now, I don’t know if these last symptoms are just my stress reaction to the problem but I can’t figure out the way to stop it. Has anyone been through the same?

Yes, I have been. My doctor also said it was a sensation and he said it was due to stress. I had this happening twice in my life. First time it happened, I was really under a stress and had a lot of work to do but the second time it happened, I was so stress free-I still am. I don’t get dizzy but I do get the headaches and I also have the feeling as if there was mucus in my throat I had to get out. If you hear anything about it, or get some kind of relief, please, let me know! Thanks

I have had the same problem for the past 6 months a sensation there is something stuck in your throat and dizziness, a feeling as if you are losing control as the symptoms persisted I ended up with full on panic attacks and trips to hospital mine often happened at night as the dark seemed to trigger my fear the only way to help it I found was unfortunately convincing yourself nothing is wrong I went to countless specialists and only after I had everything checked did I relax a little. but still it happen occasionally and I have to train my way of thinking I started wishing it was a "Real" problem so I could just take some medication and be better. you will be ok

I've got the same exact problem with the throat. For me, there's no pain, but there are ever-changing white-patches on the back of my throat. 3 months ago, it started while I was puppy-sitting for a friend. I thought it might be an allergy thing, but the dr. said it was thrush (oral yeast infection)and gave me a perscription for a lozenge. It did help and cleared it out. Unfortunately, about 2-3 weeks ago, it happened again. It feels like a furball stuck in the left side of my throat. A different dr. gave me a perscription for a liquid anti-fungal med. That helped the first couple of days, then it was back to bad. I went back to her and she said that she doesn't think that's what it is. She also suggested it could be acid reflux and I'm on my 3rd day of taking something for that with no change yet. I went today for a culture on my throat. Hope to get results tomorrow.

She also mentioned a gi? series to see if there are any pockets in the throat or anything. Anyway, I'll try to post if I learn anything and really hope to see and ideas or diagnoses or cures from you all too!

Do any of you get the white patches?

hey there to all of you. i've had this tight feeling in my throat for 1 year. it's changed my voice and i've had to change my sleeping position so as not to suffocate. i have also had a list of medical complaints that has increased within the past year. i've seen an allergist and have taken meds w/ no improvement. 1 mo. ago i was diagnosed with fibromyalgia. i brought in my list that had increased to a pg. long. she said i was a textbook case after a routine 'tender point' exam, tests to rule out other diseases, and after asking a list of questions. my point is that one theory to the triggers of fibromyalgia is overgrowth of yeast in the body. i thougt it interesting that one mentioned the med. to reduce yeast in throat w/ slight improvement until med. was stopped. i've been trying a food allergies illimination diet or at least removing the most common allergy-producing foods such as, milk, wheat, eggs, citrus, sugar, alcohol, chocolate, coffee, and artificial sweeteners. i think my throat gets better w/out these foods after reading your alls posts. the natural yeast in your body feeds on sugar and simple carbs causing an overgrowth. let me know if you try it and it helps. i'm still researching on fibromyalgia and this throat thing. i want to be better.

I have had it for a couple weeks now and I have a very hard time sleeping. I keep feeling like I am choking or I have a cer hard time to expell my breath I get a lot of phlem that is very thick mostly at night and after I eat. I have been under more stress lately. I have tightness in my chest but After a Stress test and pumping out 16 minutes the doctor said I am in great shape for 45. I excersise every day and my body fat is very low I try and keep in good shape. Not sure what is going on but it is very scary and I am not sure what to do. My doctor doesn't know what it is either. :'( I need help I know what all of you are going through it is crazy that no one knows what it is... Please post if anyone finds out what this problem is. I am a singer and this really puts a damper on that part of my life.

I know you described this as a white patch, but is it near your tonsills (or on one side)? I have a feeling that you have "tonsill stones" or medically, tonsilloliths (see- wikipedia.org/wiki/Tonsilloliths). I'm amazed at how many doctors don't know about them, but mine never did. My dentist knew what I was talking about, and he's had them in the past. If you take a small flashlight and look in the back of your throat, more to the side, you may be able to see a "white thing". I get them all the time, and I know plenty of people who have them too. You can remove them with an ear curette, or dental scalers (be careful not to stab yourself with the scalers, they're sharp). They're annoying and strange, but very common and harmless. Maybe this isn't what you have, but I'm willing to bet it may be. Or that someone on here has them. It can always cause that feeling of something in your throat. It's one of those weird things you assume no one else has, and you think there's something wrong with you. Hope this helps!

These are symptoms for two things:

1. Panic Attacks
2. GURD

You can just be having a panic attack or having problems with gurd and that triggering a panic attack. I've yet to figure out which one I have, but I have something. Lump in throat, nervous, it makes me have to c**p, breathing problems, chest tightness, etc...

I have had the exact same simptoms! Lump in my throat, trouble swallowing, chest pain, rapid heartbeat, and getting so light headed i feel like i will faint. The problems seem to worsen when I try to eat. I am young, healthy and active. I have been to two doctors now with no help. I't is driving me crazy and scaring me as well. If ANYONE can PLEASE HELLLP, or knows anything about this or how to make it go away. I would reaally like to know.

I have Fibromyalgia and difficulty in swallowing is one of the many symptoms. Since the middle of July I have had throat trouble and one of you describes it perfectly - it feels like a furball. Trouble with mine is that it makes me vomit several times a day. I was convinced it was cancer but am sure it is part of Fibromyalgia. It does not hurt but I get no warning of when I am going to throw up. Stress certainly makes it worse and I find reassuring myself that I am okay and remaining calm is paramount.

I agree with aroland6 it's normally tonsilloliths which can form on their own or be casued by thrush.

Panic attacks can cause this is well. The full cause is unknown but it's thought the throat changes shape to accommodate more airflow to the lungs.

There is also a bone in the thoart called the hyoid bone (Lingual Bone). It is the only bone in the skeleton not articulated to any other bone. It can still become disjointed like any other bone however. Chiropractor can help if this is the case.

You cannot believe how relieved I am to find that other people suffer the same symptoms as I do. My symptoms started with panic attacks that came out of no where, close to a year ago. I'd always been confident, energetic and out going. I now am unsociable, have little energy, suffer dizzy spells and constantly have a hoarse voice. There is also that stubborn lump on the left side of my throat. My throat is so tight I find it difficult to down a glass of water. For the first time I've experienced a tight chest which has lasted a few days.

I am 26 years old and have also been told by doctors I'm in good health. After going to about seven different doctors one finally took a blood test - finding nothing strange. The symptoms I've described to them have been fobbed off as allergies or stress related. It also amazes me that anxiety and stress are somehow linked to the lumps in the throat and various other symptoms. There doesn't seem to be any 'white patches' that I can see. I can't wait for someone to give me a clear diagnosis and end my turmoil. HELP! :-(

I want to assure everyone that the Mucus in your throat - the mucus and choking and swallowing problems - the breathing problems are all common symtoms of panic attacks - They are horrible and i called an ambulance on 3 occasions thinking i couldnt breath or was having a heart attack - and I was losing my vission and going dizzy in the head - Feeling like i was about to faint.
BUT what i have learnt is that because i used to occasionally smoke the odd joint/Wacky Tabaco (nothing heavy), this is a common side effect a year later -
BUT NO MORE .... im told that the drug damages your rational thoughts and I can expect it to last for a couple of years while my brain re-balances - I am now one year since my first weekly panic attack - and ive not had heavy attack for nearly 10 months now - They are slowly getting les and less and THERE IS LIGHT at the end of the tunnel - you just have to learn to relax and think nice thoughts - Think about people worse then yourself. Who may be facing death - Think of lying in the sun and lazy wonderful holidays. Put some chill out music on - telephone someone and chat about something nice (but dont mention your attack) - try to distract yourself and take your mind off it.
Good luck - and lots of HUGz during those loanly moments - and STOP WORRYING about what other people think - It is very real and very very COMMON

I have exactly what you are describing - and have for 4 years now - lump in the throat, chest tightening, headaches, etc. I went to countless docs and all said it was nothing. I finally went to an acupunturist at the suggestion of a friend, and it changed my life! What we have (according to Chinese medicine) is called "Plum Pit Qi" (if you google it, you will find a ton of info on it). Apparently it is quite common and brought on by stress. After a lot of acupunture treatments, the episodes of the lump in my throat have gone down for me, but they come back every now and then when I am really stressed out. As long as your doc says everything is clear, and it is episodic, I would more than recommend seeing an acupunturist. Hope this helps.

I am a mother of a 10 year old daughter who has been describing much of the same things as I have read here. Constant sore throat, complaining of a lump in the lower part of her throat/neck. She says it feels like a rubber ball or something in there, she gets dizzy often and she feels like she can't get air. (she has asthma so it was hard to tell if it was her asthma or something else activating her asthma) Her asthma specialist said he does not feel it is her asthma.. She says often that it feels like someone is choking her. It scares her a lot. She often comes to me saying she does not feel right, she feels funny. She wants the lump to go away. We have been dealing with this for months now. She has been to emergancy sevearl times. Seen her doctor twice. Has had throat X-rays, chest X-rays, and a C T scan done. All come back normal, (thank the Lord) But then what is this! I mean she is not a child who normally worries or complains about anything. Her face began to swell on one side too. She was put on steroids for a while, then put on sinus meds, this helped with the swelling, ( I think ). The lump is still there and she has her bad days and good days, or bad mornings or evenings. She has a deep cough too that comes from below the voice box. We saw another doctor the other day, he has put her on meds for Acid Reflux, says it can take up to two weeks for it to start to help. I'm not sure if this is what she has or not but I pray the meds help her. It has been very stressfull, and it seems that it is something for sure. It is not something made up, it is NOT panic attacks. I do believe that with what ever is going on, it may make her panic and then she has to deal with both. But heck I would have panic attacks too if I felt this constant ball in my throat and felt like I could not get air as if someone had their hands around my throat. If she panic's it only makes everything worse of course, but a 10 year old who has had very bad asthma attacks and been hospitalized for a week because of it, and did not panic then, or who had her appendix on the brink of bursting and yet still did not panic, only complained for days of a sore tummy. It took her thowing up like crazy for us to see it was not just an upset stomach thing, she had to have emergancy surgery. With all that and not much complaining and doctors saying they don't know how she was not screaming in pain, I KNOW she is not making any of what she is feeling now up and I KNOW it is not panic attacks. It brings on a panic attack becasue she is so scared of how strange she feels and it has went on far too long! You would think in this day and age doctors would be able to diagnos things better instead of do guess work and then when they can't figure it out they tell you it is a panic attack. Hoping the acid reflux meds work and she starts feeling better! Hope you all figure out what is up with your symtoms as well. Keep searching for answers!!