Hi there. Today, very quickly, I began to feel as if something were stuck in my throat. At first it was just uncomfortable, but now it is causing pain in my back and neck when I swallow. Granted, I have had a bad back/neck for a few months now. But this is ridiculous! When I press the spot on my throat that feels blocked, it is painful and often sends jabbing pain to my shoulderblade. The spot is just above my collarbone, slightly to the right of center. It only hurts the right side of my back, and occasionally my neck. I saw a general doctor today,and he had no idea what it was. He said it may have to do with acid reflux... I'm not so sure. Any second opinions?

Also, would it have anything to do with anxiety disorder? I have this as well and it often manifests itself in physical ways.

Hi there I just recently went thru this myself the you need to ask your provider about VCD ( Vocal Cord Disfunction) . It is agrivated by anxiety and it sounds exactly like what was going on with me. A good website for your provider to look at and yourself is www.nationaljewish.com they specialize in VCD and asthma and other condition like that. Hope I helped. It is something that can be treated.

Melinda in Idaho

Hi:
I am having similar symptoms as yours. I developed a feeling of a lump
inthe back of my throat when I swallow, and then pressure in the right sinus and ear and temple area of my face, and a sore Rt shoulder/neck. Along with these symptoms, I get an upset tummy and numerous loose stools, and some chest palpitations.

My Doctors are checking but may think it is viral

Has anyone out there had these symptoms?

I would appreciate any ideas and help.

it could your gallbladder

I have almost identical symptoms as del.

I am certain that it is anxiety related, however. I tend to grind my teeth, which tightens the muscles in the back of my neck, which seems to affect the other symptoms. My digestive dysfunction further confirms the possibility of anxiety. If you learn anything new, del, please post it here.

Glad to see i'm not alone, but I guess..not so that you all have to suffer it too. Del said it the best..I do infact feel the same way and its really getting me down. Feels as if breathing is a little harder now too, which I can't be too certain is just me worrying or in fact something to do with this.

so did anybody find a cure to it??

Hi, I have a feeling in my throat like a ball or something is stuck in it. I've had this for a year. I know it's to late but sometimes i feel it and sometime i don't. I'm confused i don't know what it is and i need help. i'm to young and scared. i'm 14 i told my mother but she wouldn't take me to a doctor she think it would go away on its own.

My name is Glenn, Im 23. i have been dealing with this feeling for 7 months now. First i felt something stuck in my throat right below my voicebox for 5 months then it moved to a sensation of my right tonsil and disappeared from my voicebox.
I was checked for Gerd (gastroeshophical reflux disease) and it was negative. I went for a thyroid gland ultra sound and im fine. Then i went to an ears nose doctor, again nothing wrong. Ive been so freaked out i have my first panic attack right before the movie "Knocked up" and was rushed to the hospital cuz i thought i was having a heart attack but it was just heart polpatations. AKA panic attack. I went on Lexapro for anxiety and it calmed the feeling down so much. Basically what im telling you guys is i have been freaking out since November of 2006 till just a month ago. I still feel it now and then but i know in "MY" case its stress related, and even though ive been show many times im healthy i still cant believe stress can make it feel as if i really have something wrong with me. Im feeling better now but i want the feeling to go away. Trust me i know how deathly scary it is. just go to doctors one at a time. O and depending on where you live it may take up to a month to see some of these doctors.
I know there is nothing physically wrong with me now but my mind is playing some smoke and mirrors on my body.

actually i just got back from the doctors with this exact feeling...they said it's viral meningitus. however i don't seem to give in to that explanation. it feels like something it displaced or even collapsed in my throat. it hurts to take deep breaths, swallow, burp, something just feels wrong. and it's sending sharp pains down my neck into my spine...personally, i think i need a spinal tap because i've had a headache for about 5 days too..

I have also had this feeling for a couple months now, but I think I have solved what it is. Anyone having these symptoms should go see a NUCCA chiropractor to find out if their atlas/axis are out of alignment. Have any of you had any kind of head/neck injury? I did, I have an old diving injury, and the feeling started when I knew my neck was out. I had always gone to a regular chiropractor--but didn't get any help till I found the NUCCA (google it) chiropractor. The NUCCA website lets you find someone in your area. I urge you to get help! Mainstream medical has no idea--I went from one doc to another, who all stared at me like I was purple or something! Good luck!

i have the same thing as you.about a year ago i had that,then it went away.now its come back again since the past week.i always feel a lump in my throat and i constantly drink water,filling the empty space in my stomach,since i am too afraid to eat.i barely eat anything.i will only eat jello,soup,ice cream or sometimes eggs or bananas.My sister and brother say they used to have it,but then it slowly faded away.they cant quite remember when it did fade away,me neither.but since its back again im really afraid that i'll choke on food.Im not sure if there is something stuck in my throat,enlarged tonsils,or all in my head,but i sure hope that this made you feel better,knowing that its not just you.hope everything gets better for you,and i hope me too.

i also have had this lump in throat feeling for the past few days. tightness, difficulty swallowing, as if someone is pushing on your throat. I have also had the heart palipatations. I can say with almost 100% certainly that this is stress related for me because I just got back from a week off down south and have been thrown back into the grinder of a stressful job. This symptoms formed almost the day I got back. My prescription will be some gravol at night to make sure I get a good nights sleep, a few massage sessions, and some enya on the headphones at work. that, and I am ramping up my exercise routine, which seems to be helping already.
Stress causes a lot of illness in this country, and in NA, people and societies with little stress have very little illness, heart disease etc. So, do yourself a favour everyone (and i will take this advice too) slow down and take time to relax. get up from your desk, schoolwork, etc and take a break.
If the symptoms persist, as with anything, get it checked out....but dont discount stress and anxiety. I have experienced anxiety attacks and they are not fun...you feel as if death is coming.....or at least a heart attack.
Good luck everyone. Oh, and it doesn't hurt to pray :-).Even those who are not spiritual, practicing some spirituality or putting your worries on a higher power can have amazing results.

It reassures me a lot to read that so many others are experiencing what seems like the exact same symptoms as myself, but at the same time it is totally freaking me out that there is not a simple solution. I feel like this is something we should be able to call mom about and ask her what we need to get better and go run down to CVS and pick it up.. but for some reason this little inconvenience in our throats is a little more serious and a lot more scary.. As i type this my heart is pounding and it's a little harder to breath, which must really mean this has something to do with anxiety and stress.. years ago i was diagnosed with severe anxiety and i tend to live on the more stressful side of life, however its not very often that the panicky feeling manifests itself physically for me, it's usually just a racing of the mind. But right now im struggling to calm myself down worried my throats going to close up or my hearts going to bet out of my chest.
Each previous submission by you guys is a tad different, but of course i relate to all of them. As of now this has only been going on for about 3 or 4 days, i noticed it on a drive back from the beach singing loudly with some friends that my voice box felt like it was stretching, (someone mentioned VCD) and later that night it felt like my throat was tight and hurt a bit. every day since, my throat has felt more and more swollen, and hurts as it tightens EVERY time i swallow, to the point where it keeps me up all night.. eating and drinking is a nightmare, and all the extra work trying to not scream every time i swallow has got my heart working like i ran a marathon. It also burns a bit and a few of you have mentioned acid reflux, i was diagnosed with that YEARS ago as well but havnt really done much about it.. ive got bottles of zantac in my bathroom but never really take it, should i? could that reduce swelling?
You guys have also talked about neck and back pain and injures. 5 years ago i was in a really bad car accident screwing up my spine, ive had surgery on my c-6 and c-7 vertebrae and have a titanium plate in my neck now, i liove with head neck and back pain all day every day. However when i swallow it doesnt really bother my back.
Whats funny is over the past few days i thought this was just a cold or somthing, and just wanted to find the right over the counter medicine to take to make it go away. But its too weird that all of you are experiencing this with so many similarities to my own medical history. Im going to put my efforts towards zenning myself out and relieving some stress, and hopefully getting rid of this.. but a big part of me still thinks there might be an easy medical solution..

..so PLEASE if anybody has an idea of something to eat/drink/take/do that can help this throat swelling go down and not hurt when i swallow, you would be making this blog's writers lives a lotttttttt happier ;D

I have been feeling this sensation that something is stuck in the back of my throat, it feels like a piece of food lodged right at the base of the neck. It has been going on for about 2 weeks now. I started lexapro about two weeks ago for anxiety. I'm wondering if this is a weird side effect of this drug and if so, does it go away? or is this what acid reflux feels like? Not sure, but it's making me anxiety worse which isn't helpful.