I have this problem for past month. I feel tightness in my throat. It doesn’t hurt and don’t have problems with breathing because of that, but I do have prblemswith swallowing thing, even my saliva. Did anyone had the same problem?
Please help!

Hey,
I had the same problem with throat tightness, so I went to the doctor. He discovered my thyroid gland was enlarged, so that was the problem. I am ok now. Did you visit a doctor? If not, do it!

I am currently having the same problem swallowing. I have gone to a swallowing clinic, but no one seems to be able to diagnose what my problem is, but they still prescribe drugs!!!

I had this problem too and found out it was acid reflux. I can control it with medication and change in diet. if you haven't seen a GI Dr. (gastroenterologist) you should see one.

I have this tightness in throat-it starts at night when I lay down and involves difficulty breathing (catching breath) and excessive need for yawning to get deep breath. Also, some jaw pain. I am clueless as to what causes this, but a very small dose of zanax seems to relieve, so I guess it is stress. The odd thing is that I'm not aware of feeling anxious.

I have the same problem, but usually the tightness of my throat comes at night.

Hi...I don't know if anyone is still checking this posting regarding throat tightness...but I need help. 3 years ago I moved into a house that had toxic mold infestation. I later learned that the carpets in the live-in basement were once flooded with raw sewage from the basement toilet. The carpets were never changed, just shampooed.
Anyway, a few weeks after moving into this house, I started to get really ill. My symptoms included: throat tightness (like my airway is going to close), brain fog, heavy and fast heartbeat, digestive issues, hives, sinus pain and pressure and extreme headaches.
3 years later, I still experience throat tightness almost every night (the tightness always acts up at night)...does anyone have any clue what might be causing this?
I've been told that I could have contracted parasites from the sewage infested carpets which then lead to candida overgrowth and then to leaky gut. Does anyone know anything about this?
It is such a scary feeling to think you might be taking your last breath...I would appreciate any help anyone can give me.
Thanks!!!

hello, i have been reading these posts and i thought i would share my experience. Four months ago I had a sudden allergic reaction to ibuprofen and ever since then i have also had the tightness in my throat, it is so annoying. I talked to my mother about it and she too had the throat tightness after an allergic reaction to a different medication and it took a whole year to disappear. If you have been taking any medications you may want to consider them as a cause. I know that this can defiantly happen from taking motrin, advil, asprin or other non-steroidal anti-inflammatory medications or in my mothers case due to antibiotics. Best of luck to everyone!

Hi, I a also had tightness in my throat & some weight gain. It was my thyroid I had a benign tumor on it. My doctor made me drink water with my head tilted back and he could see the lump move as I swallowed.
I had the right thyroid removed last year. But now I have a growth inside my throat just above the hole I guess it is the wind pipe. I also have tightening in my throat it feels like someone is squeezing it and its hard to swallow and I too have the white gunk on my right tonsil. I will see my ENT on the 23rd I don't want to go through another surgery but will if I have to. I'm not saying this is the same problem that anyone else has but if you are having trouble swallowing and you have tightness that last days or weeks etc, I would see a doctor, but to save time and money I would see an ears, nose and throat doctor. I am seeing my doctor for the growth and the tightness . But thanks to all of you I'm not so worried about the white gunk anymore I just noticed it last night and couldn't sleep I was scared to death because my Dad and his sister died in 2004 from cancer, we actually had 6 people in the family with cancer and only two survive. There is so many people in this town dying with it that one can't help but to think the worst. Again THANK YOU for this site.

You don't go to an ENT for swallowing disorders. Yes, they may do the surgery, but if it's something that you may not need surgery for, you would see a speech-language pathologist. Their scope of practice includes swallowing disorders (dysphagia). They can also give you great exercises to reduce the tension in you throat. Trust me, they will help you!

I have same type of problems and have for 1.5 years. (it's getting old). Trouble swallowing (but not constantly, thank goodness, but at least daily and several times thruout day sometimes). I have found posture to play a role, but not sure how to "fix" it. ENT and Speech pathologist was next step--and maybe even chiropractor to see if by chance it's a pinched nerve. I sleep fine when neck is supported and everything relaxes. As day goes on and tightness begins, issues become worse. Since I haven't found relief yet, not sure who to recommend you to. I see a bodywork specialist and he relaxes muscles around neck that seem to help-but very short term.

breathing problems (if went to doctor and don't know what it is) are due to stress and mild - severe panic attacks. Walk down the bay should help ( in the case you have allergy), or any kind of walk or exercise. That problem can be caused if you put on some weight, and if yes, i recommend you try getting rid of.
Throat tightness is due to those two i mentioned above (panic, weight (more acid) and largely due to Pollen, Dust and especially food allergies. I recommend that you my dear friend o and find out about whether of not are you allergic on anything... ok. Hope this helps.

I have had tightness in my throat over the past 6 months or so, getting worse and worse, I went to the doctor and did thyroid tests, etc., they couldn't find anything wrong, I took antacids and it didn't help.

But then somebody recommended that I try GABA. Now I have been taking 750mg of GABA every 3 to 4 hours and the throat tightness has not come back.

Has anybody else tried GABA?

Happy Lady noted that she had had tightness in her throat due to mold in house basement. I also noted this recently while remodeling my elderly parents house. Both myself and the two other workers began having the same symptoms. I noticed the tightness had disappeared two days after finishing the remodeling, but it has re-appeared after an absence of 7 days. There is definitely a connection with the mold. You need to contact a professional about having the basement carpet removed, and everything cleaned. Do not cut corners with this if you intend to stay in the house. It could be life threatening for some people.

Wow. I am SO glad that I decided to finally research what might be wrong with me. I've always felt like I was being a bit of a hypochondriac... and having a long history of anxiety symptoms kind of reiforced that I may have been reading too much into what I was feeling. I was even a bit afraid it might be throat cancer... at least now that I looked up THOSE symptoms, I'm not so worried about that. And now I've found this thread.

For years now, I have experienced a very tight and rigid feeling in my throat. This feeling _always_ onset in the afternoons and evenings (another reason why I thought it was in my head... what medical condition goes by the clock, right??). It seems to interfere with my breathing a bit, and I yawn a lot, like the other person mentioned. I can't say that it's necessarily hard to swallow while this is going on, but the effort is more pronounced.
By accident, I found a glide-on migraine relief med called Head On, that gives some relief. It's most likely the feeling of menthol, but I'm not sure.

I do also have allergies, including what was classified as a "severe" allergy to molds. I also saw thyroid problems mentioned. I do have a blood relative with thyroid problems, and she had to have hers removed. AND I have stomach acidity problems.
Unfortunately I am currently without medical insurance to investigate further, but at least I have a starting point, and most of all... it's not all in my head! (and apparently not throat cancer lol)