Hi there, i wonder if you can help me.

I am a 27 year old male in good health.

most times i swallow i have an extremely uncomfortable sensation of a lump stuck in the inside of my throat above the adams apple, ive had it for over a year. I dont know why this is occuring.

sometimes i cant feel it but most of the time its there, sometimes i think it is the cartilidge grinding together, in fact, i have had 2 endoscopies, 2 ultrasounds and a CT scan all of whic turned out to be clear.

Inspite of the fact that the first ultrasound identified a 2cm lump (which sounded ridiculous at the time because it felt like a small pea trapped between cartilidge), all the other results were clear and the specialist said there would be no more to do about it.

this is very starnge as it is not psychosematic,

some mornings i wake up and it very aggitating at first it felt just like a very small lump but now it feels as through all the cartilidge plates grind together downwards when i swallow producing a grinding / clicking sensation.

Will this mean ill have to wait for an MRI in order to identify whats going on?

it gets imflamed more when i smoke/drink

i am currently cuting down smoking and looking to stop.

from reading the other posts it sounds like it could be many different explanations. but its really bothering me.

i also suffer from acid reflux and heartburn very often but im not sure if this has damaged my throat.

please help

kris

Hi Kris,

I used to have the exact same symptoms. All of a sudden, something popped out of place, I felt a painful grinding, stabbing pain when swallowing. When I put my hand on my throat I could feel a popping sensation when my Adam's Apple rubbed against a lump cartilage.

I just did a Google search and I found the answer...

Marshall E. Smith, MD; Gerald S. Berke, MD; Steven D. Gray, MD; Heather Dove, MA; Ric Harnsberger, MD, 2001. Clicking in the Throat Cinematic Fiction or Surgical Fact? ARCH OTOLARYNGOL HEAD NECK SURG/VOL 127, PAGE 1129 to 1131.

The author of the paper describes a Danny Kay film - Up in Arms. Danny plays a hypochondriac who meets a street vendor with same symptoms, pain when swallowing and kicking (perhaps it also happened to Danny Kay or the screen writer). Unfortunately, it was often dismissed as Globus Hystericus, a psychosomatic condition. It is certainly not psychosomatic!

It is caused by cartilage malformation, due to injury or birth defect, that causes cartilage to rub against the Thyroid gland and/or other sensitive structures in the neck when swallowing. It can be easily corrected by surgery, that trims the offending cartilage.

I found a way to put my "lump" back in place by sticking my tongue out and depressing it, it pops it back in place. Thankfully it has not happened in a few years.

All the best, David

Kris,

I experience the exact same symptoms. When i swallow, the "thing" that moves up and down during the swallow seems to catch at the top, and as it begins its descent, it grinds / clicks and feels that it rubs against cartilidge. I always feel that I have a slight lump in my throat as well. I am a 26 year old male and have been suffering with this for about 3 years. It is absolutely dismal.

Having had 3 endoscopies and multiple tubes stuck in my nose to check out the area, all ent's say there is nothing there. I have seen about 8 ent's and 3 GI's and all say nothing is wrong. Some prescribed PPI's, and i have tried prevacid, nexium, prilosec, you name it. The last two ent's have said that i don't have reflux and that it must be something else. I think the the above mentioned surgery sounds like it might be necessary, as the subjects studied seem to have the same symptoms.

Another similar disorder is called a cricolaryngeal spasm, or something like that. The associated symptoms are almost spot on, as mine definitely gets worse toward the evening hours, and eating food seems to help the problem, at least temporarily, for about an hour after eating..... then it is back to the interminable lump. Anyway, it is comforting to hear someone with identical symptoms. I would appreciate getting more of your contact info, as it would be nice to discuss with someone with the exact same symptoms. Please feel free to post your info if you'd like to chat. You can shoot an email is _[removed]_ Thanks again for your post. - Scott

hiya scott,

yes, the above post sounds like that mite be the problem, i have given up worrying too uch about it as the endoscopies and scans didnt show that it was too much to stress about, its very annoying sometimes tho, although recently ive noticed that the symptoms dont seem to be as bad, itd be good to chat

email me on _[removed]_

I have just developed this over the past few weeks, it feels like you are swallowing something when you are not, when lying down in bed at night i have difficulty swallowing sylyva and, it is not sore but does get worse when i eat spicy food or drink. It feels like a pressure just above the adams apple. Mine first came up after i spewed up a strong vodka 2 weeks ago and i am wondering if this has caused it. It is reassuring that this does not appear to be the sign of anything serious such as throat cancer, well i hope not, I will let you know if mine goes away or if it continues.

I am really glad to have found this list of people because I just started getting this problem the past few days. I was getting nervous but I see many seem to have the same problem. Is there any sure way of stopping this annoyance?

I am a 40 year old women and have suffered with this same thing for almost 2 years now. It started with a constant sore throat, and a pea like lump, I went to the doctors and they said it was stress not to worry about ( I was at the time nursing my mother with cancer at the time). But the problem got worse with the grinding in the throat. I have difficulty swallowing saliva, though can swollow food and liquid o.k. They have tried me on nexium as they think it may have something to do with reflux. I am really glad to find more people out there with this problem as I was getting worried it may be throat cancer or something

hello all
i am a 37 yr old female and have same/simliar symptoms as you...plus an episode when i woke one morning to the left side of my throat 'closing' or felt as if it was closing on me and i couldn't swallow.
this happened more mildly a few more times afterward but not for a few months now. i too was afraid of something serious and began to look up issues to do with thyroid as i also have other symptoms such as rapid weight gain and fatigue. there is an autoimmune disorder called 'hashimoto's thyroiditis' which basically attacks and destroys the thyroid. if you have other symptoms like fatigue, weight gain, insomnia, bowel issues, sensitivity to cold, depression, muscle weakness, increased cholestrol, fertility/menstrual issues (for women of course). if you have any or all of these symptoms you may want to check it out...i am as i have many of them---unfortunately! i just want to get to the bottom of it as its very annoying feeling this when you swallow, and worrying i may wake with a closing throat again!
good luck to you all.

My name is brendan and im 20 years old. I have something similar but at the same time kinda different. its been about 2 years now having it and ive went for the endoscopy and barium swallows and everthing comes back fine.

Its relatively easy eating food unless its something dry. and whenever i swallow saliva it always seems to feel like its just not going down and getting stuck in my throat. At the same time my adams apple feels like its crooked because the right side of my neck seems to be thicker or swollen and pushes everything over. with me even talking stresses out my throat causing it to feel like im about to choke. and with my throat the grinding is when i move my head around and keep my adams apple in the place it should be.

I have a feeling its why adams apple is to tight and not relaxed enough since when i push it downwards it feels better and seems to open up my passage ways.

anyway if anyone can help me on what i can do or what youve done to get rid of it please let me know and

I could cry right now. really who knows how to fix this for me its gotten so bad i cant go out i go see doctor after doctor this has bothered me since i was 18 years old. I am now 30. I let a large art of my life pass me by. I feel it the worst when i get really dehydrated I hate going to see my doctor cause it seems like he already has an idea that its all in my head. Doctors don't fix *bleep* i need help any one who can . It feels like Im swallowing my throat I'm sure you all can understand that it sounds crazy but its not crazy. Help!!!!!!!!!

Background Story:
I have had this Condition for almost 3 years now.  I saw multiple doctors (including my father) and they all said that there was absolutely nothing wrong with me.  At least, there was nothing wrong with me in the sense that I was not going to die.  Actually, the ABSENCE of cracking/popping of the throat when it is palpitated or moved from side to side is actually a SYMPTOM of cancer i.e., crackling of the throat is a good thing that is natural and the absence of it is bad :)  (I was initially put on anti-depressants b/c I convinced myself that I did in fact have cancer and that I was going to die off within a few years - a terrible feeling to say the least... ugh)  Do not, however, play with your throat to make it crack just to make sure you don't have cancer.  This will only irritate your throat and could shift the bone-structure into an  abnormal position.  Next I will share the specifics of my condition.
Symptoms (*pay attention b/c certain factors may help you heal e.g., the side the "lump" was on etc.):
- I felt a lump on the RIGHT side of my throat (specifically, where the Hyoid bone meets with the Larynx)
- Swallowing caused my throat to pop (almost as if I was cracking my knuckles..but in my throat)
- Unless I was on a muscle relaxant, I couldn't feel the right side of my throat e.g., when I drank water I could only feel the coldness on   the Left side of my throat
Cure:
- Laying down and relaxing with my head turned to the RIGHT (the side the "lump" was on): this seemed to stretch the muscles that   needed to be stretched and relax the ones that needed to be relaxed (the more I made a point of turning my head to the right, the       better it got)
- Keep your shoulders dropped and your hands in your lap as much as possible (I elevate/raise my shoulders when I'm anxious = BAD)
- Relax your tongue and try to keep it flat (I found that I would "curl" my tongue to the Right side of my mouth out of habit = BAD)
- Sleeping on my LEFT side (whenever i slept on my right side I would wake up and the "lump" would either be back or worse)
- Relax the RIGHT side of your Jaw (I noticed that I would only clench the right side of my jaw)
- If anything, try and do some "clenching" exercises with the LEFT side of your jaw
- I noticed that when I would yawn, which I do a lot as i suffer from insomnia, I would subconsciously yawn with only the muscles on the   RIGHT side of my throat & Jaw
*Try and yawn with the muscles on the LEFT side of your throat and jaw, but don't force it!
- ***THE MOST IMPORTANT PART OF THIS CURE**** - Buy my book (JUST KIDDING!) After analyzing hundreds of pictures of myself (b/c i am one vain individual) I realized that when I smiled, I would mostly smile with the muscles on the right side of my face.  I even counted the teeth in every picture and there were always way more teeth visible on the RIGHT side of my face than the left.   Also,when i went out in the bright sun I would use these same muscles on the RIGHT side to help me squint and block out the sun.   On top of that, I noticed that when I was in awkward situations or nervous I found myself doing my "fake nervous smile" with only the muscles on the RIGHT side of my face.
**I began using these same muscles, but on the LEFT side of my face instead.  This seriously made all my symptoms  away!   The muscles i am talking about are between your eye and your mouth (the ones you use when you squint).  You want to use these "squinting muscles" but do NOT contract these muscles Too forcefully.

Hope This Helps, Eri-Erik

Sources: I have a Bachelors degree in Integrative physiology and got to/had to memorize all the parts of the human body & dissect cadavers, The fact that I honestly thought I had to cure these symptoms or else I would live every day believing that I was dying - it made me determined to find a solution.

Hello Kris and everyone else who has experienced this...

I have been dealing with the same thing for over a year, and when I first saw a doctor about it, I was told it was only swollen glands. It seems like no one can diagnose it correctly. I had pain at the top, but now for the most part it's absolutely painless, just an irritating "popping"each and every time I swallow (but not when I swallow food/water.) sometimes I can feel it pop back into place when I'm laying down, but once the day starts, it comes back within minutes. it's just a little bit left of my adam's apple. it feels like a tiny rock/lump is stuck in there, and I think it's the thyroid cartilidge rubbing against something else. I thought at one time that I needed only to see a chiropractor to pop my neck back into place to get rid of the feeling, but now I'm realizing it actually probably needs surgery--it would feel so much better if I could just reach down there with tweezers and remove/re-position whatever is causing this with each swallow.

does this sound familiar? it's relieving finding people with the same problem. :)

I have been dealing with the same thing for over a year, and when I first saw a doctor about it, I was told it was only swollen glands. It seems like no one can diagnose it correctly. I had pain at the time, but now for the most part it's absolutely painless, just an irritating "popping"each and every time I swallow (but not when I swallow food/water.) sometimes I can feel it pop back into place when I'm laying down, but once the day starts, it comes back within minutes. it's just a little bit left of my adam's apple. it feels like a tiny rock/lump is stuck in there, and I think it's the thyroid cartilidge rubbing against something else. I thought at one time that I needed only to see a chiropractor to pop my neck back into place to get rid of the feeling, but now I'm realizing it actually probably needs surgery--it would feel so much better if I could just reach down there with tweezers and remove/re-position whatever is causing this with each swallow.

does this sound familiar? it's relieving finding people with the same/or similar problem. :)

hey, Anna F again. I guess I wasn't logged in so I am commenting again so I can be notified of replies in my email. hope to hear from some of you about this!!! 

Oh, man I'm 14 and I've had this problem for years and I kept messing with my throat and I think it is abnormal now. My mom kept sayiNg it was nOrMaL but I don;t know.