Can anyone out there help me?

About 7 months ago I began to get a chronic ache in my upper back (bra strap level) with associated problems catching my breath. I visited a doctor and was told it was a common problem that women have with upper back problems and to rest!. I then started experiencing some very strange symptoms which started with pressures in my head and a very odd feeling that something was not right and that I was going to pass out. I then began having problems going to sleep as every time I close my eyes, I get a rushing feeling (like shivers) that goes all the way through my body and into my head and the only way to stop it is to open my eyes. I have visited the doctors on endless occassions and they have carried out all standard blood tests which were all negative. On top of this, I often experience loud ringing in my ears and my blood pressure spikes up and down. I am now on atenalol but this does not seem to keep it stable. The other associated symptom is severe depression which is something I have never before suffered from. I have had a test for Phynochromcitoma (tumour on adrenalin glands) but this was negative. They have discovered an intolarance to Insulin and I am taking metformin for this.

It is now 7 months on and I go through a week or so feeling OK and thinking I am back to normal and then out of the blue I wake up in the morning and my brain feels like it has become curdled in the night! My doctor has now referred me to an Immunologist as I had an undiagnosed problem 5 years ago that left me with Reynaulds Disease.

Any help or advice would be much appreciated.

I have been going through this and more. I was made to feel that I was imagining it all. I new all along that there was something there. After 5+ years of going to doctors I believe that the cause has been discovered (by accident). After a serious bout with horrible stomach acid, a CAT scan found a benign tumor on one of my adrenal glands. I suspect that it is a pheochromocytoma. When active the pheo causes symptoms identical to panic attacks. Whatever you do, DO NOT get on benzos, klonopin, xanax, etc. as they are almost impossible to quit. If you think what you are experiencing now is bad google "benzo hell".
I recommend that you ask your doctor to do a CAT scan of your abdomen especially your kidneys and adrenal glands. A urine test or blood test may not be accurate. Hope this helped.

I had something very similar 14 years ago. The jerking awake, the back fullness and the head pressures...plus a few other things. It coincided with the onset of Lyme disease. (possibly Lyme was an initial vascular insult?) After antibiotic treatment for many years most of the symptoms either went away or got a lot better. Initially I was cat scanned & ultrasounded to kazoo and a perfectly good gall bladder was mistakenly removed as a probable cause.

BUT, now I am just starting a resurgence of the mid back fullness (need bra extender when really full) & pains...and RUQ fullness with dull pain and some edema thru lower thorax when at its worst. Plus nocturia when at its worst. Everything waxes & wanes: sleeping in a recliner seems better than lieing flat, early AM feels really good until I get up and start moving, but being really active seems to help relieve it.

So is it some sort of vascular spasms due to ???? a cytokine, enzyme, hormone????. Or some insideous vascular back up due to vascular damage or other?

My best ideas.

I HAD THIS AT ABOUT MY 7th MONTH (THE SCREAMING-TREMOR THING EVERYTIME I CLOSED MY EYES TO SLEEP). I NEVER FOUND OUT WHAT IT WAS, IT LASTED ONLY ABOUT 2 WEEKS. MY MOM SAYS SHE HAD THAT WHEN SHE WENT THROUGH MENOPAUSE.

I also have head pressuer at night...ear ringing/ pressure/ feeling like I will faint. only happens at night.. during the day my ear feels full rings and sensitive to sound am being worked up for menieres disease...

My husband is 30 years old and has some of the same symptoms that have been described above....only worse....
it began three months ago.... he felt like all the blood in his body had rushed to his head within a second...his face was blood red and he said he felt it in his nose at first. We went to the ER to get his blood pressure checked and it was high... they checked for the adrenal tumors through a 24 urine test and a CAT scan... they also did loads of blood tests.... so everything came back looking "normal". His heart was racing. they gave him some anxiety meds... sent him home and told us to contact our cardiologist. He has had a slow heartbeat since he was 15 (at lest that is when it was detected during a routine sports physical) so now the racing heart beat seemed even more scary than it would be for the normal person.
We went to the ER around 8 times before they decided to keep him.
They kept him for a week and then we were transferred to another hospital where his cardiologist worked and he was told he needed a pacemaker and that he had sick sinus arrhythmia.... He was put on two types of blood pressure meds... Ateninol and Lisinopril (I think I am spelling those wrong).... neither one have been working like they should because he has still been having the same problems...blood rushing to his head, red faced, weight loss, lightheadedness, face heart rate, waking up in the middle of the night feeling adrenalin jolt through his body, chest pain, high blood pressure and anxiety attacks (which happen AFTER he starts feeling weird from the other stuff!)
they RX'd Klonopin and upped his blood pressure meds.... still not working!!! We are so weary from this... it is ruining our lives, he can't work and has missed numerous days!!! WE NEED HELP QUICK!!!
T.

I can tell you that these symptoms are not normal. I have severe hypertension, perhaps the most severe case that doctors have ever seen in their careers. I have been experiencing atrial fibrillation, flutter, uncontrolled sinus tachycardia for years. My head rushes, and chest hurts tremendously bad on a recurrent basis. I have recently started to feel numbness and weakness on the left side of my body when my head starts to rush. I think that this is a precursor to a stroke. Perhaps a mini-stroke called a TIA. Nothing else fits. I last had my blood pressure checked at 210/148. I am still here. My body is used to the extreme blood pressure readings. I have forgotten what it feels like to feel well. Anyhow, just letting you know my opinion. I would have a MRI done of your head if you feel this way. It might not show anything, but again it might show something. Nevertheless, it is no doubtedly a wake up call to alarm you that you are at risk for stroke.

well my name is steve and iam not feeling good i ben sick for allmost 8 years now off and on i have damged dics in my back because i was born early then usely people and so my body is not stong like every one else and with the dics in my back if i do something wrong the dics i think slip and i get blood that shots to my head all on the left side and its verry painfull and i cant take anything for the pain it dont help so iam feeling stress about it because i cant sit like more then 15 mins and i cant liedown all the time i have to be moveing at all time almost and iam scared about its takeing over my life plz if there is a verry good doc out there plz help me out i just went to live life thanks

hi i been reading the blogs on here and i finally feel like im not alone and going crazy i been having some of the same feeling... for about a year i had bad headaches and trouble sleeping at night with my head hurting and having head rushes and sometime i feel confused and cant make out what i want i cant think or concentrate i woke up several mornings with blood in the back of my throat my gp say's i could be scratching the back of my throat when sleeping so i not gone back to him with the problem but it seem to be affecting my sleep and its every night.

im not stress and for once in my life things are ok, i even went to my optistion to see if it was my eyes but its the same no change my gp has run untold blood test which all came back fine.

because i have one or two other problems going on i feel like i cant tell my gp about this one as he may feel i am just moaning but this is worry me very much because now i feel it is effecting my behaviour i'm becoming clumsy and forgetful even sometime i sit still and feel like i'm swaying and feel all dizzy.

please can some one help i dont know what to do. :-(

I been reading the blogs and i am feeling exactly the same im 16 and been experiencing this for a year nd went to the doctors and sy tis becaus of my unhealthy lifestyle but i changed my lifestyle and loast loads of weight. i am feeling the symptoms being explained on here
Headaches
Chest pains
Dizziness ( all the time)
vision going bad

Loads more. and i want a cat scan or something that will make me feel better. i know they will find something, if not i will accept that i am losing my mind and have a problem. what can i ask for? i cant walk in and say i want a cat scan id ont now wat to do someone help me please.

thank you

I have this rushing feeling in my head along with the chronic pain. I have migraines also. I feel terrible all the time.

Wow it is great to hear of so many people who have these similar systems...not just me then XD probably not so great having them tho.

I have had mid back pain (bra strap level) for about 5 years, headaches, ringing in the ears etc and generally feeling rubbish....I have been to the doctors (about 7 times) and they all look at my like I am mad! :-D I am now attempting to get a CT scan which ill cost me £475 but i guess that's about £100 quid a year for each year I had felt like this! money well spent!

Just to let people know if they are over 40 they can get a ct scan without a refferral- altho it's still £475 for the full boona!!

I am pretty sure it has some adrenal connection- i have been on meds which i think have affected my adrenals and i think they were burnt out before i started the meds...not sure what the ct scan will show if i get it or where i can go from there- good luck on your searches- keep us posted!

:-D

Hi, my wife has developed epilepsy and now is feeling some of the same symptoms here as well. A doctor in Jordan has put her on Xanax (use it when you feel you can't sleep or have a head rush feeling) and she has been doing well for 6 months now as she doesnt use Xanax every day and her quality of life has improved a lot. She still gets some dizzy spells and head rushes so I massage her head until she feels better which happens quite fast ! I also cool the room down a lot and darken it so she doesn't have anything to distract her from sleep. I hope this helps others out there.

I have had this strange condition for about a year now, and I have finally decided to find out what it is. The biggest problem for me is deciding whether it's a NERVOUS SYSTEM disorder or a CIRCULATORY disorder. It could be both. A problem with the sympathetic nervous system could affect heart rate, thus causing the fluttering heart or insane blood pressure. Before I continue, I need to know some information:

1) HAVE YOU EVER TAKEN LARGE AMOUNTS OF ACETAMINOPHEN (PARACETAMOL)?

2) DO YOU FEEL DIZZY AT TIMES?

3) HAVE YOU EVER HAD A BENZODIAZEPINE (XANAX, KLONOPIN, VALIUM, ATIVAN)?

4) DO YOU HAVE ANY PSYCHIATRIC SYMPTOMS (DEPRESSION, ANXIETY, ETC.)

**The more answers I have, the better my chances are of figuring this out**

In the meantime, use broad treatments for both possibilities.

-Iron supplements
-Copper supplements
-Omega-3 Fatty Acids (BE CAREFUL, only take these if you do not have pronounced cardiovascular symptoms)
-Vitamin B12
-Vitamin D
-POTASSIUM***

(Potassium can literally save your life but DO NOT take too much! (500mg max))

Post results

Dear everybody...you ALL need to get tested for LYME DISEASE. It took me almost nine months, after going through hell after having a baby (insomnia, heart palpitations, headaches, severe fatigue, sensitivity to sound, low blood pressure, dizziness, inability to handle stress and getting really really on-edge) to get diagnosed with chronic Lyme. LYME DISEASE (any of many different bacterial infections from the bite of a deer tick) literally screws up your whole body. The bacteria can invade your brain, central nervous system, cardiovascular system, endocrine system, joints, muscles, etc. causing symptoms that can include headaches, ringing ears, vision problems, chronic fatigue, sleep disorders, heart problems, poor blood pressure regulation, poor blood sugar regulation, joint pain, fibromyalgia, and many many more.

Find a GOOD internal medicine practitioner, who specializes in Lyme Disease. They will test you to see if you have evidence (antibodies) of ever being infected. If you don't start antibiotics, you won't get better. Make sure to ask for the Western Blot test for Lyme, and for tests for other tick-borne infections (Babesia, Ehrlichia, Bartonella).

Good luck to all of you. God Bless.