I am a 41 year old female.  I have had Type 2 Diabetes for 15 years and have it well under control.  I have had upper right abdominal pain and right middle back pain for over 2 months.  I've had an x-ray, ultra sound and HIDA scan which all came back fine indicating that I have gallstones but that my liver and gallbladder are filling up and emptying fine.  The pain I get is not constant.  I will get a sharp pain in my back that will only last for a moment or so.  The pain in my upper right abdomin comes and goes as well.  At times it feels like a burning and numbness type pain.  Other times it is a sharp pain and other times yet it is just an ache feeling.  And sometimes it is a tightness/contraction type pain.  This tightness/contraction type pain used to only occur on the right side but occassionally over the past few days I have begun to feel that tightness on my left upper abdomen as well.  I don't drink alcohol very often but about a month ago I drank a lot one night and for the next few days following the pain was worse.  Same thing happened over the weekend - I drank Sunday night and Monday - Wednesday the pain was worse.  I have trouble laying on my right side because I feel like there is a bulge there that I am laying on.  I also feel like my right side of my abdomen is distended a bit.  When I look down on it, I can tell that the right side sticks out more than the left - but I'm not sure if that just has always been the case and I've never noticed it before or if I have just become more aware.  Back and abdominal pain does seem to subside a bit if I lay down.  My doctor told me that all my tests came back fine and that I should be reassured that this is just a muscular issue and that I should do some stretching.  That made me very frustrated and brought me to tears.  I'm not making this up and I consider myself to be a pretty tough women who doesn't like to complain but I am really getting frustrated here.  If anyone has had similar issues and have found an answer, please reply and let me know.  Thank you so much.

Hi Leanne, did you ever have your colon check. the symptoms that you mention sounds like a small blockade and this makes you feel all bloated/ tightness and sensitive on the side of your abdomen, request your Doc to see how well your colon works and how fast it works by swallowing little balls and then you drink lots of fluid (Go lightly) this will then make your colon work and in the test they can then see if you have a blockage or not. Good luck and hope you do find an answer as soon as possible.

That sounds both frustrating and worrying. 

It could be anything, from your liver to your colon, and even your back or your kidneys. Both back pain and kidney pain can radiate outward to the point that you don't really realize where the pain is originating. 

Medical mysteries are so stressful, but just because the tests you had done came back OK doesn't mean there isn't something wrong. Maybe your doctor is looking in all the wrong places? I'd certainly push for further examinations rather than accepting the dismissive attitude your doctor seems to have. Maybe it's time for a different doctor?

Hi, I have similar symptoms and all tests came back clear as well. Have you been able to find a solution or cause? Hope you are well.

No solution yet. Still same symptoms only they have gradually gotten worse with the intensity of pain. I have had a colonoscopy and they tell me I have Crohns although this upper right abdominal pain still has not gone away. A specialist at Mayo Clinic said that the upper right abdominal pain is not related to the Crohns. So, I'm back at square one with no solution.

I am also having sharp pain in my upper right back that come and go. About two months ago my feet and legs started swelling horribly. The Dr ran blood and urine tests for kidney function and said test results were normal. I also have crohns disease, I was diagnosed at 15 and am now 26.

Hi leanne i was wondering how u r feeling lately ?? I am 48, female & hav similar symptoms to u - right down to th bulge on my right side! I hav had this pain for years now -and the HIDA and all that and still no answers - Last was a endo/colonoscopy on same day in june2012 - in th weeks following i noticed more pain/ache on my right side - at my followup gastro doctor is surprised i am havng these symptoms! Says he dsnt know what it cd be ! Sooooo frustrating

I am 61 anvegave the same pain as all of you describe.I have had diarrhea since May 25th .At one point it turned to all blood.Colonoscopy was normal,Urinalysis normal.I really do not think it's normal.I cannot keep any food in my body any longer than 1 hour.Leanne and everyone else I hope you are all feeling better.Mrs.M. I agree this is frustrating beyond words .If anyone gets some answers please let me know.

***this post is edited by moderator *** *** private e-mails not allowed*** Please read our Terms of Use

Hi, I have the same problem. Pain has been relegated to the right upper quadrant for the last few yrs. Now I am experiencing right back problems, a tightness, sometimes throbbing and even a spasm in the front area. Bloating is always present. A feeling of intense pressure, and no Doctor can tell me what this is. I was told that I have a Fatty Liver several years ago though, but what has this to do with the pain and pressure I now experience in the right back area. I had a colonoscopy and an endoscopy recently which was normal. I have had blood work done several times. Don't know who to turn to at this point. With all the kinds of Research these doctors do, you would think they would know what they were doing at this point in time...But they haven't got a clue! Poor animals that must suffer in their research which does not bare any answers at all. If Medicine did 100% Clinical studies using Human beings, we would be far more advanced and have the answers we need for the kinds of difficulties we are having.....I am having. I feel so hopeless.