I have had this problem for two or three years now.   I get this feeling that comes over me like a flu type headache with feelings of dizziness.  The strangest feeling of all is the swooshing sound that I get when I do something as simple as move my eyes.
My GP has tried various tablets such as stemetil but nothing works except a long sleep and usually that clears the problem.   It is really debilitatiing and I worry as I have to drive a lot and although I have nver had any problems as such, I often feel so bad that I just want to pull over and stop.    I also get a feeling of dread or depression coming over me when these bouts come on.

May be you suffer from allergy. Consult with doctor as soon as possible.

Thanks Mary. I have been referred to ENT but my GP doesn't think it's an allergy. He thinks it is more likely to be an inner ear problem but other than that, he is at a loss to explain it especially the irritating swooshing noises when I turn my head or move my eyes.

There is a whole other forum where lots of people have agreed it's a result of coming off, or just forgetting your anti-depressants that causes the swishing. Personally I have to agree, I do get it when I've been rubbish at taking mine. 

So why not just try taking your meds like clockwork, and see if it lessens? And no point getting depressed over it, we're already depressed enough eh?!

Thanks for your commEnt but I do not tale any depression meds. My gp has checked for depression but is happy that I don't have it.  It's just a feeling of depression or perhaps

Just to clarify my last message...I don't have depression but I am aware that many contributors have talked about this.  My GP checked me out for dep. but ruled it out and is now convinced that I have menieres.   This comes over me just about every evening when I am relaxing and it starts with excessive yawning (20/30 times in about 5 mins). And then I start getting thedizziness and this makes me feel really down.   The feeling is like heavy flu in the head.   

Hey sorry if im late responding to u but i also have the same symptoms as ur describing here. I had this for many years. I was just recently diagnosed with pseudo tumor cerebri. This is when my optic nerves are swollen causing many headaches along with a palsating swooshing sound in my head and ears...pseudo tumor cerebri is treatable. Talk to ur doctor about this hope i could help a lil

Hi Cathy, sorry for not seeing this earlier. Thanks for your suggestion. I am due to see ENT shortly so i wlil push really hard to try and get an answer from them. This is getting me down!

can also be a sign of anemia

That is me also it is hard to really explain.

Mervyn D246272 over a year ago "I have had this problem for two or three years now. I get this feeling that comes over me like a flu type headache with feelings of dizziness. The strangest feeling of all is the swooshing sound that I get when I do something as simple as move my eyes.
My GP has tried various tablets such as stemetil but nothing works except a long sleep and usually that clears the problem. It is really debilitatiing and I worry as I have to drive a lot and although I have nver had any problems as such, I often feel so bad that I just want to pull over and stop. I also get a feeling of dread or depression coming over me when these bouts come on."

Dear Mervyn, I see you posted over a year ago. Hope you see this. You described my problem to a T. Had to pull the car over 4 times today. Thought I was dying so I googled and found you. Thank you for posting this question!

I stopped antidepressant 12 days ago because it would not mix with a new med I have to take short term. Doctor didn't tell me to. Was my brilliant idea. The doctor was not available when the pharmacist caught the danger. Prescribed by a P.A.
One of the draw backs of seeing a physicians assistant. Not as versed in the pharmaceutical end of things.

To clarify "depression" has nothing to do with swooshing when antidepressant levels change. For example, I take Celexa for pain management. Over the years, I have forgotten just how much it helps with that. I am now out of my mind with full body pain, and zapps that have dropped me. Currently eating Advil to live, and that's not good for anyone. Napping helps with the swooshing, dizzy, eyes tired, headache, flu like, feel like I could just fall over. When I wake I feel better for a time.

For people who are not taking an antidepressant, seems like the most logical answer is they are experiencing serotonin level dips similar to forgetting to take your antidepressant pill. Wonder if stop and starting Melatonin to help you sleep could cause an imbalance or dip that can also cause swooshing. Can they test serotonin levels?

I know for a fact that is the cause now that I have read it is a popular cause. Still scary though. When I take a nap, I think am I going to wake up. It feels so bad.

When a person has a headache it is a sign something is wrong. Don't stop until you find the cause. Maybe experiment with a low dose of antidepressant to achieve a serotonin level that works for you - you'll know, your headaches will go away.

Hope this helps someone else, like your question and answers helped me.

Same thing migranes swishing sounds go blind no insurance its awful

Oh my god! I thought I was dying!! Thanks for all the great info. I've been super depressed and feeling like I had a brain tumor... Cant think straight and extremely hard to drive... I'm on Venlafaxine for anxiety and the pharmacy keeps changing manufacturers. This seems to be a trigger. Also not getting sleep. I'm sure that's not helping.

I'm so glad I found these posts!! Your comments have helped me realize my recent weird symptoms are fairly common & probably due to not taking my Venlafaxine (prescribed for menopause symptoms, not depression). I ran out of pills about 5 days ago & the swooshing noises & dizzy feelings started 3 days ago. Thank you all for helping me and good luck with resolving your ailments :)

Hi Mervyn,

The swooshing sound sounds like an Autophony symptom. If you can hear your eye move, there a very limited number of conditions that cause this. I have one of these conditions where the Autophony symptoms include hearing your own voice loudly in your ear, can hear your heart beat, can hear your eyes move. The condition is called Superior Canal Dehiscense. This condition is very uncommon and many ENTs have not heard of this. I would suggest you work with your ENT to test for this condition which normally requires a CT scan of you ear canals and or a VEMP test. Other symptoms you might be feeling with this conditions include a feeling of unsteadyness, dizziness, ringing in ears, fullness in ear. Let me know if this seems to fit your symptoms and I can provide more information, resources for this condition.