Hi, i'm 17 years old, The past year or so I have been getting headaches nearly everyday, sometimes the being to turn into migraine feeling headaches and i have to sit in a dark room doing nothing so I don't throw up. Sometimes during the night I get woken up from the pain from my headache and then can't get back to sleep. During the day i get the headaches quite often, they usually start at around lunch time and progressively worsen. I often wake up with extremely painful headaches and miss a day of school about once every three weeks due to these headaches. I usually have 8-10 hours of a night but still wake up feeling like I havent slept at all and feel sleep deprived all day.My mum won't take me to the doctor because she thinks im faking the headaches to get out of school, however i'm in my final year of school and want to do well so I don't understand why she would think that. Anyway could someone tell me if this is something to be concerned about? Or knows whats happening to me? 

Hi! That's terrible one year suffering from headache! First of all you are almost an adult so I think you should really go and see a doctor. sit down with your mom at a good moment and explain to her that you are really not faking it (and admit , if is the case, that you did it sometimes) but tell her you really want to see a doctor. when you go to the GP he will probably be able to check if it is really migraine. The physical exam is very important to make this diagnose. But things like getting better in the dark makes me thing about migraine. Your GP will ask further if you see any relation with specific things that you eat, if there's migraine in your family, where is exactly the pain and if you have other symptoms when you have the pain. He will also ask you what for medicine do you take to make it better and if it works. Be prepared for the questions and give him so much information as possible. Good luck!

I've been keeping track of how often i have them and how long they last for and how painful etc so i can go to the doctor myself