Hi, my mother being hypochondriac all her life. Now, she want’s me to check her blood pressure every morning and evening since she believes she is endangered by heart attack. Why is she so obsessed with her health?

Hypochondria is a disorder when a person keeps believing to suffer from a serious illness. Hypochondria is expressed as irrational fears of being diseased, obsessions with slightest bodily symptoms, checking doctor’s opinions and constant self-examination and self-diagnosis. Hypochondriacs need constant patience and reassurance about health issues. Obsessive-compulsive disorder and anxiety are connected to hypochondria. Stress increases chances for developing hypochondriac attack. Treatment options include cognitive behavioural therapy (CBT) and antidepressants.

My Mom is the same way. She refuses to take any meds for anxiety. We are at our wits end with her. She is currently in the hospital following hiatal hernia surgery 2 days ago. She wants to stay as long as she can so someone will do everything for her. She refuses any help from her husband.
Everytime I talk to her on the phone (she lives 3 hours away) she is messed up on pain pills, muscle relaxers and sometimes wine with the meds. She is 76. Her health is really very good but she gets down and wants attention so she takes pills and says she has the flu. Does anyone else have this sort of problem with a parent? I for one do not wish to have anything to do with her and force myself to call her. My 2 sisters feel the same. We can't talk to her doctors because of the privacy acts. What to do???