Hi there,

I really need some help here. I didn't choose to be like this, it all kind of happened on its own, it is like I had no power over this matter. 

It started happening step by step. I started feeling afraid that I have serious illness from the simplest symptoms that I would notice. I didn't pay much attention to it and it eventually got worse and here I am now being a hypochondriac (it is not a diagnosis I made on my own, my doctor told me this). I want all of this to end, please give me a hand here.

Hi Guest,

Unfortunately, hypochondria is very hard to treat. I mean, every mental illness is hard to treat, as you probably already know.

There are some several studies done in the past few years that show that using antidepressants, such as Prozac and Luvox can really help in fighting this. Cognitive-behavioral therapy is also used a lot in order to help people with hypochondria and it showed good results.

Doctors are recommending people who are hypochondriac to talk to a psychologist about this. They also seem to have helped a lot of people suffering from this to get better and eventually completely get over it (not really completely but at least to make your life easier for living).

Well, if you ask me, this is all in your head so a psychologist or a psychiatrist could be of most use to you I think.

Medications can also help, you should pay a visit to your doctor, tell him about your current situation and ask him to prescribe some medications for you, and to recommend a good psychologist for you. Don't be afraid to talk to a psychologist, they are trained in helping people with similar conditions as yours. They should be able to help you, at least point you in the right direction so you can actually be able to help yourself.

Huh, I never really liked those people that much, psychologists and their sort of people. I always thought of them as people who think that they are way smarter than others, like their heads are very high in the clouds. I am going to be a hypocrite if I actually go and see one but if that is what you think is best for me, then I will try it. Who knows, maybe this psychologist guy(or a girl) is going to prove me wrong and change my attitude towards them, and maybe, who knows, he or she actually manages to help me get better, that would be fun.

Good day. Well, good question.

I believe that it is different from person to person and that it is hard to tell some formula how to stop being hypochondriac. Let's face it - we all are hypochondriac in some point of our life, but it can become nasty if this happens very often and always.

Hypochondriac have problem with fearing of the worst. 

My friend asked for help. Cognitive - behavioral psychotherapists may try to treat hypochondria by getting sufferers to analyze and alter their thoughts. So, maybe this can help you as well, maybe this is a solution in your case. 

It is easy to say - I want my anxiety to go away. You need to make a lot of effort that this can happen. For example, a lot of my friends were just sitting and doing nothing about it, believing that their anxiety will go away by itself. No. Also, you can't just stop being a hypochondriac, you need to work on it. I always recommend a people to go to their doctor, to their psychiatrist but no - some of people do believe that this is a shame, and it is not. I am visiting an expert for almost 11 years now and I can tell you how good I feel now. My anxiety is not gone, but it is minimal. Also, I am not hypochondriac anymore. It is hard, but my doctor really helped me.

Hi. Well, you can definitely recover from it but it takes time. It won't just happen over the night. Also, you need to know that certain anxiety disorders may require medications for management, while other anxieties crop up during large life stresses or general worries. So if you are in this group, don't even try to cure it with some natural remedies.. Even if you have a chronic anxiety disorder, you can find ways to manage and cope with the feelings that you have! But here is some idea that can help you relax during the anxiety - drink a lot of tea. Some experts tells that you can have about 7 cups of tea per day. 

I am hypochondriac as well. And it is very hard condition to deal with. But you should try to find a perfect balance between your body and your mind to beat it. Beside of those two things, I am sick as well but I am not going down. During this, it is very important to keep your mind clear and to think positively about certain things. You should get a medical help. This is one of the first steps and it is going to help you build your support system. When you have a doctor by your side, everything seems much easier than it is. Also, try to find a good physician and make a very good connection with him. Good luck.