I had to learn that thyroidectomy can be used to treat thyroid nodules or, rarely, hyperthyroidism. My doctor told me this is necessarily in my case. He told me in this procedure, part or all of the thyroid gland will be removed. I understand that the thyroid gland is a butterfly-shaped gland located at the front of the neck just above the collarbone. I just want to know what I could expect after thyroidectomy, and what risks I should be prepared for.

A thyroidectomy is considered to be a more difficult operation than a lobectomy, but when is done by an experienced surgeon, the risk of complications is greatly reduced. The length of your hospital stay and your recovery depend on such factors as your age and general health. Also and the extent of the surgery, and whether cancer is present. However, many people leave the hospital a few days after this surgery. Hyperthyroidism is cured 95% of the time after a subtotal thyroidectomy performed by an experienced surgeon. If thyroidectomy is done to remove a cancerous nodule, its success depends on the type of cancer and whether it has spread to other parts of the body. Thyroid surgery is generally a safe surgery. However, there is a risk of complications, including hoarseness and change of voice. The laryngeal nerve lies at the back of thyroid gland and controls vocal cords. It can be damaged during thyroid surgery, which causes those problems. The more experience your surgeon has, the less risk there is for something like this.