My diagnosis is hyperthyroidism. After long therapy, without success, specialist recommended me surgery, thyroidectomy. They are planning to remove my thyroid gland completely. I think I don’t have too much choice about this question but anyway I would like to hear your opinion. What is procedure and risks of this Throidectomy?

Thyroidectomy could be done through incision that is made in the skin. Endoscopic surgery is another option that can be used in your case. Endoscopic surgery requires less recovery time and what is also important, smaller scar. Anyway, this procedure is not appropriate in all cases. Length of your hospital stay and recovery depends on your age and general health. I guess your thyroid gland causes swallowing or breathing difficult, because thyroidectomy is rarely used for hypothyreoidism. This is generally a safe surgery so there is no need to worry. However, there are some risks, like in every surgery. Hoarseness and change of voice, but if your surgeon has enough experience the less risk there is. When parathyroid glands are removed mistakenly during thyroidectomy, it causes hypoparathyroidism. However, as you can see there are some risks, but when surgery is done by an experienced surgeon, the risk of complications is greatly reduced.