I too have been diagnosed with thyroid cancer (follicular). A nodule was found during an MRI of my cervical spine and the follow up began. After at least 2 different scans and a fine needle aspiration biopsy, I was told the nodule was benign. I was to follow up again with the ENT in 6 months but I didn't make it that long. I started having difficulty wih pain in my neck and a BAD sore throat. Tests were repeated and the nodule had tripled in size. So ENT recommended we remove the left lobe of my thyroid. Surgery was scheduled and I awoke to a complete thyroidectomy and a diagnosis of follicular thyroid cancer. I am 36 and scared to death. I am currently in the stage where the radioactive iodine scan is next (my tsh is currently 91.49). After the scan we should know whether or not the cancer has spread but I am worried because my thyroglobulin is currently 14.9 which is pretty high. If anyone could offer me some support or advice I would be forever grateful. Also the name of the doctor that treats only thyroid cancer in Winston Salem would be helpful. I only live an hour from Winston. Thanks.

Hydeal,

I am so sorry to hear about the trouble you are having.  It is really scary to find out you have cancer.  I was also just diagnosed with papillary/follicular thyroid cancer.  I am going for my RAI May 11, 2011.  I wish I had more information to share with you about what you have to face yet.  But I am wondering the same things.  I just want you to know you are not alone and I am praying for everyone on this site.  I was told that I had two small spots of cancer in my thyroid which were completely removed in my total thyroidectomy.  But my doctor still wanted me to do the RAI as a precaution.  After reading all of the posts on here I wonder if it is really all gone.  Guess I won't know til after the body scan.  Please hang in there and keep us posted.  Take care and God Bless.

I have follicular thyroid cancer. After complete thyroidectomy, 2 rounds of RAI and one clinical trial study drug, that all failed, my cancer progressed and metastasized into my lungs, neck and chest. I am now in my second clinical trial (E708) and take chemo pills daily. Anyone else on this E7080 trial for thyroid cancer?