I know smoking is not advised, in general, or after surgery. But has anyone smoked marijuana (or anything) after thyroid surgery? Or any throat, nose, chest, etc. surgery??? Or just heard anything about it at all?

I mean I'll wait a week, after which I'll see my surgeon and ask him personally. But I was just wondering if anyone had or had heard about people doing so. And what it had done to you or them.

Thanks guys. Hope to get a reply. And not one that just tells me not to smoke (yes, I'm aware it's not good for me, I'm sorry, ok?)

:-)

i am a 21 year old female and i had a total thyroidectomy on may 29, 2007. i smoked marijuana till like two days before my surgery and then about 9 days after. the vicodin was making me feel ill so once i went home from the hospital i stopped taking it and then once my neck/i started to feel better i began smoking a little bit. not as much as i had before, but with in a month i was out with my friends for the fourh of july and drinking and smoking like normal. not that i recommend any of this, but i know when i was about to have my surgery i googled this subject over and over and there were no responses so here is mine.

its my first time here try ask kind of the same question this bull crak,
just had a nose surgery few days ago taking anti-bioxit(cephalexin) and so painkillers just wondering if i just hit small amount weed? also would it anti-boia-xit stop working?

Wow ok I'm a whole 4 years later on this subject but I just had a total thyroidectomy myself in Sept 2010! Sadly to say I was some what of a pot head before surgery and also smoked up to like 2 days before surgery! I googled and searched for answers wanting to know if smoking was in some way contributing to the thyroid cancer or possibly hurting my recovery after surgery! During surgery my vocals had been damage and kind of stayed pretty paralyzed for a couple of weeks. Needless to say about a week after surgery I got a bright idea that maybe if i smoked a little weed that maybe the smoke would stimulate my vocals and I'd begin to speak loudly and properly again! Well I cant exactly say that the weed did it but soon as I started smoking again my voice and almost instantly restored within a few days! And I had went close to 2 weeks with out a voice! So what I'm trying to say is after a total thyroidectomy i started to smoke again and havent had a problem. Its funny because I wont drink I'm to scared it may affect the thyroid medicine! Reading "inbetweendreams" post kinda gave me a relief that I aint the only one out here whose had a total thyroidectomy and smoked afterwards!

hi, i am a 28 female,last year, june 2010 i had thyroidectomy to remove nodule on right side of thyroid but upon removal they found cancer, so i scheduled completion of thyroidecotmy for 6 wks later, july 2010... anyway, i was smoking the next day, i snuck out for "fresh air" and had a cigarette, and smoked a bowl when i got home, it was the only thing that kept the side effects from the pain meds from getting out of control. the trick is to not cough, find a bud that is low in CBN, thats the one that will make u cough, a higher CBD content will releive pain, swelling and anxiety, the THC gives u the head high, so stray away from a high thc if u wanna function.

I am 36 years old and having a thyroidectomy tomorrow.  Had right lobe removed four years ago due to large nodule.  Happened upon this post while looking to make sure I didn't make a no no by smoking today while my surgery is tomorrow morning. lol.  I  was hoping that it being in my system wouldn't cause any adverse reactions to anasthesia,  pain meds, or tyroid medication.  So, needless to say I ran to google and here I am.  :-)   I had taken a little to calm my nerves because I am terrified of this surgery.  Not a person who is good at remembering meds everyday so this is a huge leap for me.  

I am 25 Years old I had Thyroid Cancer in 2010,and before the Surgery I actually never Smoked,but Just Recently I have seen some inflamed areas in my Neck and ever since I started Smoking Weed I can till that it has went down a little bit

I'm a 23 year old male and I just had a total thyroidectomy due to papillary thyroid cancer. I had calcium deficiency the day after my surgery (bad), just shy of a seizure. Spent an extra week in hospital taking massive amounts of calcium with vitamin D. Yesterday (the day I got out) I went straight to my friends place and took one thick gentle rip from his bong, managed not to cough and got quite baked. But about 20 mins in I started getting psychosomatic about the tingles or numbness of a potentially re-occuring situation. But decided it was paranoia, got tremors and a really high heart rate because I got really nervous and was this close to going into emerg... But then I gently kicked the table infront of me and concluded my foot was NOT numb. I then chilled out and enjoyed the TV. Took my synthriod and calcium pills with a couple glasses of water. Burnt out and I'm fine. It was perhaps wreckless of me, and maybe I was close to a seizure... But I THINK it was just all in my head, my own nerves. I searched to see if there's any conclusive statements but I guess not so here's my story. I'm going to smoke weed again today and if im fine then I won't post again. If sh*t goes done I'll make an extra effort to be sure to post about the complications.

I am maasman, ive been smoking plenty of weed and went out for 2 pints last night for St.Patricks day. I feel quite healthy and spry. my initial symptoms at my friends place (high heart rate and tremors) i last posted about were in my opinion entirely because of my nervousness and not any kind of im-balance or complication. I feel like im back to my old self! :D

I am having surgery on the 28th of April, how bad is the coughing after surgery, if you dont quit weed and cigs ? Anyone ??

This surgery is thyroid nodule surgery.

I just had surgery 5/11smoked for the 1st time since day before surgery.coughing depends on how u pull on it....my strips are still upon too

I had my thyroid removed April 2015, papillary thyroid cancer and had a huge ball on my neck which invaded my vocal box. Anyway I'm 3 months recovering still and I decided to try having a few drinks which honestly doesn't make me feel good the next day, my legs start to tingle. I may have been low on calcium but I don't recommend drinking. As for smoking pot I feel no difference or any after symptoms. I'd stick to weed than having a beer to have a good time.

I had a total thyroidectomy 1/7/2016 and before surgery I smoked marijuana faithfully. Literally up until the day before surgery. After waking up from surgery I had major calcium and vitamin d deficiency. So bad that my entire body locked up and nurses couldn't pry my hands open to start an iv and I almost had a seizure. I had to stay a little over a week past my surgery date to try and control my calcium intake. My voice was extremely high pitched, I couldn't hum nor cough at all and I felt extreme pressure in my chest and throat. After going home I continued to get tingles in my face in fingers even while taking 4 calcium pills 3 x a day with vitamin D . I'm on day 10 now and I wanna say the tingles stopped around day 8. I am extremely tempted to smoke seeing as how I have done so every day for the past year or so (I know it's "bad" but we all have out habits , sorry) but have been terrified to lock up again. I hit a tiny hit the other night (day 8) and felt just fine. My advice to anyone having the surgery, do NOT smoke four weeks prior to surgery as instructed by your surgeon. They tell you that for a reason . I lied to my surgeon telling him I didn't smoke not knowing the consequences. My body locked up because of me smoking prior and that is a pain I wouldn't wish on my worst enemy. Scariest feeling in the entire world . I'm just sharing my experience so no one else tries to smoke before hand. Definitely NOT worth it. Again I'm on day 10 and I'm going to attempt to smoke a little tonight. I'll post how it goes later on. Hope this is helpful to someone

thank you for sharing. I had a thyroidectmy 12/28/15 and was also held for about a week, because of calcium and vitamin d deficiency.my body did not lock up though However i did stop smoking about a month and a half before surgery. im scared of smoking again. How did it go when you smoked. How much did you smoke.