Hey everyone. My maid of honor knocked out yesterday in the park while she was playing with her kids. People who were there called 911 and they came very soon. They send her to do some tests and they tried to set diagnosis. After a few hours, they told her that she is having mitral valve prolapse issue. Now she is at the hospital and she is waiting for another set of analysis.

I need to ask you a couple of questions and I hope that you will know the answers. What are the causes and treatment options for mitral valve prolapse? Is it dangerous? She never had any similar problems…

Hello Ashley. I understand your concern. I wish you guys all the best, especially that lady in her recovery process. Unfortunately, for most people cause for mitral valve prolapse is unknown. Some people may inherit this condition and some people with mitral valve prolapse have an imbalance of the autonomic nervous system. But it is very hard to determine the cause. Actually, impossible. Most people who have mitral valve prolapse are treated with medicines, surgery and sometimes both of it. But sometimes people don’t need to be treated from this. I believe that you should sit with her doctor and talk about this a bit. Good luck.

Hi there girls. Most people with mitral valve prolapse won’t have any symptoms. One of my friends had problems with this and his doctor recommended him to repair the metal valve. This is one of the main surgical treatment for mitral regurgitation. He did it. This operation is carried out under general anesthesia and this surgery will usually gain access to your heart through an incision that is made along your chest. His operation was successful. He is very fine after this surgery so I believe that there is no reason to be worried that much. Just like MakeMeCoffee told you, causes are usually unknown.

Hey there. I believe that, if you don’t develop any symptoms there is no reason for treatment. But I had symptoms and my doctor prescribed me certain medications to treat mitral valve prolapse. I had chest pain, heart rhythm abnormalities and some other complications. So, he told me to use beta blocker because this medication will help me prevent irregular heartbeats. My heart now beats slowly and with less force. You know what else is good for this? Aspirin. If you have mitral valve prolapse your doctor can prescribe aspirin to reduce the risk of possible blood clots. Good luck.

Hello everyone. I can see that you all were talking about treatment, but I will focus on the causes because I was learning a lot about it.

Well, the exact cause of mitral valve prolapse is unfortunately unknown. Most people who are diagnosed with this condition are just born with it. It tends to run in families and it is more common in people who are born with connective tissue disorder.

I believe that you can’t do nothing to prevent it because the cause is unknown. Treatment must be determinate with your doctor, along with proper medications and behavior.

Hey there everyone. I agree with Big Z, those are causes. I did some research about this a few years ago when we found out that my wife has this. Trust me, I did almost impossible to find out what was the cause since my wife is playing sports, she is eating healthy, she doesn’t smoke or drink. My doctor told me that I should give up because he can’t tell us what the cause is. She started with the treatment – with medications to be precise. He gave her Tenormin oral and tnx good she didn’t have any side – effects. She is feeling fine now.