I am five months postpartum and have not yet resumed menses. About a month ago I had very light spotting. Just pinkish streaks in discharge for two days. I also had mild cramping and fairly heavy discharge like when I was pregnant. This month it happened again. I took a home pregnancy test and it came back negative. My husband and I have been using condoms for birth control. Does anyone know what this could be?

i am not sure what it could be i am no doctor but i hear that some people do not produce enough HG hormone and in some cases an ultra sound is the only way to detect pregancy,,,also i hear menopause can do that, and a cysts on ovaries can also cause these problems,,,please see a doctor to be sure you are okay...best wishes to you

Hello Katiesmommy, 

This to me sounds more like ovulation bleeding, than anything else. Some women do experience bright red bleeding or spotting just at the time when they ovulate, no matter the pregnancy, while others experience this type of bleeding only when there is some hormonal imbalance that is affecting their cycle.

Since you and your husband are using condoms, chances are that this has nothing to do with the pregnancy, but I know this might be harder to believe, when you still don’t have your periods. That’s  why maybe it would be a good idea to talk to your gynecologist about other birth control methods you can use, even though condoms are as effective as the pill, in most cases.