Is it possible to diagnose ulcer with endoscopy? It seems that I am suffering from stomach ulcer and I have to go do endoscopy. Please tell me what other ways there are to make diagnosis, I think I can’t handle this. Also if you can tell me what medications are used to treat ulcers? Thanks a lot.

In different types of ulcers, protocols are different, but it is important to diagnose before you start with treatment, for example for an NSAID-induced ulcer, treatment is quite different from the treatment for a person diagnosed with an ulcer caused by the bacterium, H. pylori. Endoscopy is one way in which they insert small flexible instrument with camera through the mouth into the esophagus, stomach and duodenum to see entire GI tract. You can also do with X-ray of the stomach to locate the ulcer or do blood, breath, and stomach tissue tests to detect the presence of H. pylori.

I had an endoscopy done, and it was no problem. They give you enough meds that you are out just long enough to have it done. No pain afterwards...just a little groggy.