I've had my Mirena for a little over a year now. The problem started right away. When my husband and I would have sex, the string attached to it would poke the head of my husbands penis, and I guess it's pretty painful, like little needles jabbing it. I went back to my doctor about this problem and he trimmed the string, thinking it was to long and he said to give it a little more time, it'll soften. Well, we're still having occasional problems with it. It's not everytime, but it does happen at least once out of every four x's. Does anyone else have this same problem or could give me any advice?

I find the same happens with us. The strings poke. and I think the IUD is too low as it sometimes jabs my husband too.
My sex life is ruined.

after having an abortion, i decided to get an IUD. the doctor had made many good points about the minimal side effects, being only cramps during the first few months of my period. she never told me it could effect my sex life. The first time me and my boyfriend were able to have sex after the abortion (2 weeks after) he felt the IUD poke his penis, and could no longer have sex with me because it was too painful.

Doctors don't tell you these side effects because they don't give a f**k. And think twice about getting your IUD string cut, because it makes it point straight out of your cervix, that''s alot more painful for your husband. you should think about a birth control method where they don't probe your vagina, and turn it into a clap trap that stabs penises

I had the mirena about 6 months now. My husband hate it, It's not the strings its the tip of the mirena. My husband said it feel like a straw poking the tip of his penis. The strings are to small to do that. I have an appointment today to have it removed. My husband don't like to have sex with me like we use to AND THAT O CAN'T HAVE........

I used to have this same problem with my bf...he said it felt kinda like a shock haha but somehow the strings no longer bother him anymore...and i checked the strings and they feel a bit further...try a different sex position maybe that limits penetration

Hope this helped^-^

Hey ladies, I had the same difficulty.  SO, I actually got a diaphragm to cover up the strings inside......I use it as a barrier, between his penis and the strings.  It really works, and in every position.  Hope that helps you also. :o)

I have been told the coil can be cut to shorten the length.

Cutting them shorter i think makes them more pointy and less likely to curve around the cervix 'out of the way'